Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some of these for my winch - What are my options?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Jun 15, 2004.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

These and the Warns are the only ones I could find. I want the 350 Amp rated models.

Here's the price list.

Can I find a better deal on these?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i know they use them on ambulances and fire trucks, mabye call a local fire station and ask them where they get theirs??? im notshure /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Surpip is right, we used them on the rescue trucks we built all the time. Try the reliable catalog or maybe they have a website. Those prices aren't too far out of whack.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

10 bucks for 350A connector is cheap IMO. Looks like a good deal.

John

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've never bought from them but WAYTEK is a popular supplier on Pirate.

6. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Check electric forklift companies... They use a HUGE fricken battery and they also use these quick type connecters. Just a thought.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Are those the "High Amp Hermaphrodite Plugs"!. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I've seen them at swap meets for sale by the bushel basketfull.I used to sell them at the parts store,They used them for remote jumper cable hookups on wreckers,etc.I think they list them in northern tool's catolog--I think I could buy them locally at our electrical supply store,or Graingers--maybe tractor supply too,or Napa,but the price will be higher than 10 bucks apeice I'm fairly certain.
    The forklift place is a good bet too--or one that specializes in ramp truck/wrecker supplies. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

You can get them at Grainger, or a good electrical supply house.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

who do you build for?

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Try Del City Web Site The sell them also and they are a great company to work with....

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They are by far the cheapest place to get them. Del-City sells them for the next cheapest but they sell you the body and the terminals separately so it costs more. Buying colors from them is the same price as buying colors from AMP.
    The rubber dust covers are pretty cheap too. I bought 4 350 amp connectors, 2 rubber dust covers for them, 3 175 amp connectors, 2 rubber dust covers for them, and it came to $70something after shipping.

AMP is nice to deal with as well. Shipping is cheap. You'll end up talking to a person with a southern drawl though. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Anyway, I doubt you're going to find anyone cheaper. Most places want twice as much for them and places like Cabela's want 2.5 times as much.

People call me 4x4 Pricewatch for a reason...

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the information. I just wanted to make sure I was dealing with the best place.

I do have one more question. Do I need to ground to the battery? Or can I run one of the leads to the frame and ground there?

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Currently, I have this going on:

The auxilary battery has its ground going to the frame. On the same bolt to the frame the ground for the front disconnect. All I did was grind an area around the hole I chose to use, tapped the hole, squirted some antioxidant around the hole and terminals, and bolted it down.

Also coming off the auxilary batter is one cable for the positive. Shortly thereafter it has a splice in it that runs to the rear of the truck. The splice consists of a copper tube crushed around the wire and then chucked full of solder.

I chose to take the power off the top posts. I know that the top posts can handle more current than the side posts. I've even seen what happens when side posts melt...

You're going to want the same gauge cable for the entire circuit. So if you choose to ground to the frame you need to make sure that the wire going from the frame to the battery is the same size as from the battery to the winch.

Here are all my winch-related pictures. If you'd like me to take pictures of anything else just let me know and I'll do it, I just bought a whole bunch of batteries for the camera.