Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some opinions on labor cost.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Esteban86K5, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I have a neighbor that wants me to build some things for him and I wanted to get an idea of what you guys would charge. It would be building 30 of the same item and it would include cutting, welding, grinding and painting. He is going to supply all of the steel and material I may need, I just need to do all the work. It would ba an hourly rate but I don't know what to charge him. I usually give a bid for the gates I build depending on their size. But this is different.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!! :mrgreen:

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would consitter it as a regular job. Forget he is a neighbor or a friend if so. Charge what you would normally too do the work.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

When I do side work I usually bid out my normal wage rates where I work. Don't lose money on it.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Well thats' the thing. I don't have a "REGULAR" rate for anything. I don't do this kind of work most of the time. he just wants me to do this cause he can't weld as clean as I can and he knows I would be able to knock it out faster then he would.

kyser_soze, what is the rate you charge? :confused:

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I would flat rate it, that way you could kick ass on the job, and there no question about what it will cost him, be carefull with that though!! :D

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Build one and see how long it takes you, then YOU figure what your time is worth. What do steel fabricators in your area charge? If you are as good as the pros in your area, then charge accordingly. The first one, record all your cut lengths, then you can cut multiples of each piece, lay them out and just wwork down the line. Do all your welding first, then the grinding and painting. This will cut down on your set up time and make the job go faster.

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I charge $25.00/hr. But this is not the only thing to consider when doing a job. You use your own tools, supplies and materials need to be provided for a cost plus type of job.

Estimate the time of making one of these items and multiplying by the total number will give you the approximate cost.

When you do an assembly type of job, the learning curve decreases as efficiency increases for the time it takes to do.

Give him a flat rate cost using your first estimate of doing one of them and multiplying the number, after you make the first one.

Most important. Do be fair about your work and make shure that both parties are very clear on the deal, then everything will work out good for both parties involved.

Good luck!

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I dont know what to charge but I highly suggest a written contract so protect all parties involved.