Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some PICS of Cadillac caliper p-brake brackets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Sep 26, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Like it says I need some pictures of Elderado caliper parking brake brackets. I have looked all over and have not found them. I really don’t want to return them so; I thought if I can get some pics of the brackets, the one for the cable and the one that holds the cable, I could probably make them. I have seen a few but they only show the long bracket that is bolted down and not the one that holds the spring and cable it’s self. You can email them to cland2437@sbcglobal.com

Thanks,
    Charles

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

Hey Blue i f#cked up the part # sorry i just checked it and it's good. here's the right #(levers) 18060644 & 18060645 and spring #18060030. and here's a link for ya http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Beater74,

Thanks a lot bro. I was catching hell trying to make these this morning.

Charles

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Now is that all the parts? I thought in addition to the right and left lever there was a bracket.

5. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Beater74,

One more thing is the bracket ust the lever or the lever and the spring holder

thanks
    Charles

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

Blue / Grimmy i don't know about any other parts that might be needed. i got these #'s off a post a couple of months ago when some one was looking for them and i copied them down. but if i remember correctly it was stated in the post that these were the only parts needed but then again i'm not sure. i'll try and search for this post later and PM a fella that has them and see what he says.

7. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

beater, that would be great. I ordered the parts that you listed about 10min ago and now I'm thinking if I should have waited. Oh well

Charles

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I haven't looked at my '79-85 setup lately, but I think they are setup the same as the 76-78 stuff, only smaller.

Now, IIRC, the spring actually fits over the cable, and goes between the e-brake lever, and seats on the caliper itself... Maybe look at your calipers, and see if there appears to be a "bump" or seating area where a spring could go, on the same "line" that the e-brake cable would be.

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

don't worry about it Blue, according to a VERY knowledgeable source that is all that is needed. but don't kill me if i'm wrong /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I looked at the caliper and I see were the lever goes but if there isnt a bracket that holds the spring then I dont know were the spring goes. Here are a few pics of what I have
    caliper1
    caliper2
    caliper3

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gonna take my parents digital camera tonight, perhaps I can take some shots of the 79-85 stuff, and we can compare. I know the parts aren't interchangeable, but I'd bet they are set up the same way.

You are right, doesn't look like anyplace to "mount" the spring.

12. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

Re: I need some PICS of Cadillac caliper p-brake brackets *DELETED*

Post deleted by beater74

14. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

15. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Charles, Put the lever on the shaft and tighten it down with the nut. Then put the small curved end of the spring into the hole in the casting (just above the grease zerk in picture #1) and wrap it around the curved part of the casting. Hook the long hooked part of the spring around the lever ( it will be obvious ) and you have it done.

Added: The pictures above are of the after market springs and the ones I am talking about are the originals.

16. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I thought thats what that hole was for. Now, one more for ya. Where does the parking brake cable snap (for lack of a better word) in to. In the pics that beater74 posted there is a bracket with a hole in it for the cable.

Thanks for the the help on this one guys

Charles

17. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Charles, That is up to your enginuity. I don't think Cadillac ever ment for these to go on a Blazer. From hear on its all custom. I am a long way from running brake cables and when I do it will be for cutter brakes not ebrakes.

18. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Yep, I was thinking about it already. I think I can make the whole bracket assembly if I try. What are cutter brakes.

Charles

19. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

They are intended to lock up one wheel and engage the front axle only for a hard turn with a pivot on the locked wheel.