Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some Q-Jet help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Codeman96, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of rebuilding my Q-Jet to put back on my Suburban. I have it all apart but I screwed up when I took out the..... well I don't know how to describe it. It is the needle and spring in front of the power piston in the float bowl. I screwed this out without screwing it all the way in and count the turns. It appears that the pin in the piston uses this for a downward travel stop. So does anyone know how many turns out it should be? I have a rochester book nad the instructions but I am yet to find anything that refers to this piece, mainly I am not sure what it is called. In the instructions it lists a air valve to be out about 7/8 to 1 full turn is this it?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Depends on Application .

Most performance carbs ship with it 2 turns out ( what I read on internet ) .

My 305 passes emissions at 1 turn , runs awesome at 3.5 to 4 turns ( albeit rich ) .

I have a good balance between power and mileage at 2 3/4 turns right now .

And this is on a common smog era Quadrajet .

You may have different needs and have to play with it since you moved it already .

You can pop the plug in the airhorn over it off if there , or drill hole if not , tap it for a plug , and adjust it without tearing carb apart .

3. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Thank you very much. I am running a Edelbrock right now and i just don't like it. I decided to rebuild my stock carb. The motor is a warmed over 350 (headers, small cam, Edelbrock Pereformer intake). This is my tow rig so it has a/c and all of the accessories attached. Any other pointers you might have before I start putting it back together?

I appreciate the help. By the way any idea what that is called? LOL

4. pauly383

Its called APT , its adjustable part throttle .

Basically its your primaries . The stop is to limit travel of the rods through the jets .

Only tips I have is keep it clean , and be careful . They aren't very hard to work on .

that and watch when ya put the top back on , the choke rod likes to hang up in that little spot it goes through

5. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

One more question. What is the best way to remove the plugs for the idle air screws (the ones in the baseplate)?

6. pauly383

Dunno , everyone I have or had, had already had them removed :D

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Way I see typically done is to grind the metal away underneath the plugs.

I too have never had to do remove them, but I can tell that is how the PO's have done it to the ones I've got.

8. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

All is done its on and it started. But it is getting late. I am so tired I managed to put the friggin' gasket on backwards, can we say massive vacume leak. LOL I changed it around and it idled fair. I'll break out the vacume gauge tommorrow and get her dialed in. Thanks for the help guys.