Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need some serious help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fknfbm53559, Feb 12, 2001.

1. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

ok well my 79 blazers engine is shot all to heck. my rings are completely gone and it smokes like a 2 dollar whore, a friend of mine said that i might have a few egg shaped pistons, my crank might be warped, and my main, and rod bearings are gone. he said it would be much easier to get rid of the truck than to drop a new engine in it, besides ive been looking for an excuse to get rid of the old beast. it runs great except for the smoke. if it didnt smoke tht bad you could never tell that there was anythign wrong with it. i was planning on trading it off this next weekend and i was wondering if there was any quick temporary fix for the smoke just long enough for me to get rid of it. because i know that the people at the dealers would give me maybe 500 bucks for the heap if not turn me down completely. please let me know if there is anything i can do like, modify my exhaust or something.

washing a k5 is never done somehow i keep finding those 3 foot deep mud pits on the way home

2. Logan

Logan Registered Member

There's a 'No-Smoke' additive that you can buy at pretty much any automotive place -- It thickens up the oil or something so it doesn't get past the rings. You might try a double or triple does of that just before heading into the swap. Someone mentioned Block Sealer working, too.

How bad is the rest of the rig? The 305 in my '84 Jimmy blew up last year, and in a pinch, I got a boneyard 350 completely installed for $550 Canadian. ($~375 US) Best money I ever spent on the truck.

-Al.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There are a lot of things that can cause smoke and some of them if you can do the work are cheap. Valve guide seals are dirt cheap and often a source for smoke and can be done in a long afternoon.
    What you need to do is diganose where the oil is comming from. If it's rings it should show up in a compression test. If the rings check out it's just old valve guide seals.
    Fact of the matter is you can get a good engine for $1400 for a NEW engine and it can be dropped in a afternoon. You can get a rebuilt engine for $700-800 at most parts stores. Unless this truck is a rust heap it would be fairly cheap to fix if you can do the labor. It's the Labor that will eat you up not the parts. Yeah $1400 is a lot of money if the motor is gone but that includes 50k 36 month warranty.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well hey if your looking to dump the blazer cheap how much will you take for it, i'm here in texas and I need a blazer, bad, the engine swap wouldn't be that bad for me. Let me know

thanks
    Les Key
    Suite102@hotmail.com

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

5. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

the truck cosmetically couldnt be better.the only thing wrong with it is the engine i havent had a problem one out of the suspension, and the tranny was rebuilt maybe 200 miles ago. it just seems like ive put more money into keeping this thing on the road than what i bought it for. im 16 and driving back and forth to school every day so i need something a little more dependable. dont get me wrong, no matter what i get ill still play around in the mud with it. but from my experiences with this truck, ive learned to take it a little easier on them. if you really are interested in my truck and would like to see some pics, email me at jmpirkle@cox-internet.com ill get them to ya in no time.

washing a k5 is never done somehow i keep finding those 3 foot deep mud pits on the way home

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

haha, you've learned the number fact about all K5 owners, there truck is never finished. When I got mine I figured, all right, overhaul the carb, shocks, springs, tires, and I'm done...WRONG! I'm always finding stuff that "needs" to be fixed. I'm putting in a grand of metal and knick nacks in this summer. I'm even repainting it. You gotta remember that your truck is over 20 years old, of course things are going to break. You'd never see one of those soccer mom SUVs canning around after 20 years. There are tons of K5s going strong. Don't throw in the towel man, you got a good body and tranny, and hopefully soon a good engine comming soon.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

7. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

You're only 16? and you're givin in already.....NO WAY! Moe money moe money!!! Grims right always check for the cheap solution first. Then check your alternatives. If the tranny is that new and the body is fine then hell salvage it. If it is your rings and the motor runs fine you can always rebuild the existing one cheap. Have a shop check all the parts and just buy new gasket set$50 and rings$20 and use the old parts (with new bearings and such) for a cheap but good fix.
    just my $.02.

good luck

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

8. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Hey just found this for you on Parts For Sale board your in tx and guy username LKJR is selling an 89 350 one piece rear seal two bolt for $240 OR trade for older two piece rear seal. May want to talk to him. good luck.

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

9. windrider

windrider Registered Member

In the land of salt and snow...If you have a good body, It's worth throwing some money in to it. You can easily fix the rest. Just my thoughts!