Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need some shifter ideas!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

i busted my linkage today in the jimmy.. i never liked having it on the column. i was wonderin if there are any good floor shifters that work well in the rig.

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ryoken just put one in his. he has some pics in the gallery of it

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have a funny Idea for mine , cheap cable shifter like a Indymatic , shift boot , and keep the clutch pedal in for looks :D

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, i'm absolutely in love with my AC.. the enjoyment level of my driving went up substantially... :D

with my 700r4 i do alot of bouncing between 3rd and 4th. i just leave it in that gate and bang it back and forth.. i removed the top gate on the right for a straight run down to 4th. so its fully gated 1st thru 4th and free up to park. works sweet...

its real solid from detent to detent and side to side.. real positive.. nice quality cable.. mines full custom mount so i can't attest to mounting the console they sell with it..

[​IMG]

wait till you guys see what i'm doing with the flipup hatch... ;) way freakin cool :woot:

the only possible complaint i could have is, it's not lighted... no big deal driving, but Jersey's kinda funny about things like that.. have a couple green LED's that will match the lighted toggles and digital clock i put in behind the cupholder.. gonna put them down in the shifter body so they glow green out. should look good and appease any inspection nazi... ;)

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can you briefly explain the cable routing from where you have it mounted?

6. ryoken

sure... got the standard 5"er i believe.. the box has 3 walls that run from front to rear. a left, right, and one the width of the shifter on the left/middle..

here, wait, a pic is simpler... ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hey, i got money down there! :eek1:

cable worked out well for me.. they don't give you a grommet for the sheetmetal, but i had tons laying around... you can change the angle the cable comes out of the shifter.. i believe every 45 degrees around the bottom. just disassemble and reposition...

7. 2Dogs

Very cool - thx!

8. 2Dogs

Also while we are here - details on the console? Or should I wait until your done with the flip up hatch project?

9. ryoken

well, the console is made of a machine-made epoxy composite, kinda like fiberglass. extruded under high pressure. brutally strong.. all pieces are 1/4 thick. it comes in 4'x8' sheets.. also lots of beam and channel configurations.. we use it extensively in the boats.

http://www.pultrude.com/stand.html

works just like fiberglass. cut pieces to size. have to use diamondtipped blades.. channel or tapercut ends and epoxy glass tab the corners.. basically bonding your joints.. i have 1"x1" hardwood stock in some strategic joints inside for added strength..

primed and painted like any fiberglass item.. its pretty freakin bulletproof. eventually it'll need to be modded to mount to an integrated cage, but i don't forsee an issue..

the flipup hatch project involves all black hinges and pushbutton lock.. i'm going to have the big section to the drivers right, hinged in the back like normally with the lock up front. but the narrow section to the left over the cubbyhole/cable area will be hinged to that piece on the right.. so i can open just the cubby by flipping the small one to the right or open the whole thing.. the hinges are nice anodized marine units with detents at different points. i'm stoked on the hardware, just ordered it today. should work well.. pics to come...

i'm in the home stretch on my Autometer dash made with the same material and construction and satin finish too..

well, alright, i've got alot to do, but its to the point where i can see "light" at the end of the project and am stoked.. :woot:

and to help steer this one back on track for the original poster.. i had also considered a Lokar and have heard good things about em. ;)

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I really like your console! Thats pretty awesome.
    P.S. What did you do with your column shifter?

11. ryoken

thanks, i appreciate it.. :thumb:

its coming around.. the digital clock i added behind the cupholder looks trick with the lighted switchs that have no actual destination at this point... ;) i'm also in the midst of a breaker/power box install in the lower front inside to feed said switchs and clock.. need to find a use for those... :thinking: :rotfl: the big compartment also holds my CD changer...

and the column.... anybody got a manual, no tilt, no cruise column with wiper control for sale? ;)

i just gutted all the linkage stuff down below back to the column, pulled the arm off inside and pinned the collar in the up position.. found that one out the first drive to work. the collar shifted down and wouldn't let the key turn to start it again... :doah: :rotfl: hopefully i'll find a column at the swapmeet next month...

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I really like my Truck Mega shifter. It would be worth doing a search as this was covered in depth several months ago with lots of people posting pics up:)

col 001 copy.JPG

col 002 copy.JPG