Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some welding done on wheel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by racercrazy, Jul 4, 2003.

1. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

When I ordered new wheels almost six years ago, they sent me one wheel that has a bad weld. I have never been able to use this wheel.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI want to know if someone out there can weld this aluminum wheel for me. I'll pay a small fee if needed and for shipping both ways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    4 pics of wheel without tire that needs welded /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Weld wheel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That should be easy enough to repair...it's just a bad 'tie-in'. Most any shop that does aluminum welding would be able to fix that. I gotta ask why you didn't return the wheel when it was new? That is a manufacturing defect...

At any rate I would back cut on either side of the problem area with a carbide burr and then run a cover pass over the problem area no more than 3" long. Then dress the repair with a grinder. MIG should be fine, that's what was used originally anyways.

Option 'B' would be to TIG weld over the bad spot...

Either way would work.

Rene

3. racercrazy

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, but I do not have the resources to do what you explained.

Can anyone out there do this for me? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I'de help you out if I could. My welder is in South Carolina and I'm in Japan, sorry.

Jon

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

see anyone on 44" bogers in japan?

6. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

They wouldn't fit on these tiny roads. I have seen some interesting stuff though. One Marine here has a real nice Land Cruiser on 38's. Saw a 3/4ton Suburban yesterday, first burb I've seen over here.

Jon

7. racercrazy

Anyone else out there that can help me out? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Look up a welding shop in the phone book. A repair like that shouldn't run any more than $30, probably less.

John

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Does it leak air out of that weld? If not I would use it. You coule also clean the area up and use some cold weld to seal it. If the weld didnt hurt that structure you are okay.

Dan