Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need steering help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crash1369, Dec 17, 2005.

1. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

i just got my truck a week ago its an 88 4wd auto blazer and theres somthing wrong with my steering. its lifted 4" (he originally told my 6" but now says 4" so im not sure) anyway it also has a snow plow so im sure that contributed to the problem. i think it is leaking but im not sure where or why yet thats what i need help with. the steering makes all kinds of noises and is hard to steer and sometimes it takes both hands and i have to really force it (im sure thats from the low fluid)

obviously it needs to get fixed but im not sure where to look the steering is VERY sloppy also i was looking at new parts and kits and stuff but i dont know what i need. since im fixing it is there anything i should upgrade while im down there. the truck is pretty much only going to see the street and take me to work but i want to eventually make it a nice off road truck so is there anything i should get to start the transition.

thanks for help in advance :waytogo:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I would plan on replacing the Tie Rod and both DLE's
    For the Tie rod, go wiht a nice HD unit available from a few of the vendors here.
    Hit any auto parts store for the DLE's and adj. sleeve. Get MOOG brand. (lifetime warr.)
    Also inspect/replace if needed the following.
    - Ball joints
    - Wheel bearings

3. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thanks allot readymix

the HD tie rods, they will hold up to a plow? i wont have the plow on nearly as much as it used to be but i want everything to be able to handle the added stress. and whats a DLE? i was reading through some of the other threads and was going to check the bearing in the morning, ball joint i just look for up and down movment in the wheel right?
    thanks again

4. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thanks allot readymix

the HD tie rods, they will hold up to a plow? i wont have the plow on nearly as much as it used to be but i want everything to be able to handle the added stress. and whats a DLE? i was reading through some of the other threads and was going to check the bearing in the morning, ball joint i just look for up and down movment in the wheel right? so you dont think any of the major parts are bad? any idea where it might be leaking.
    thanks again

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

look for cracks in the frame around the steering box, and if you dont have a weld in frame brace you should think about getting one.

6. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

i read on hear it will help tighten up the steering regardless, so any sugestions where to get one?

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Good call Chaddy, I forgot all about that. Not sure how as I have fixed many frames.

The HD tie rod will hold up to a plow much better than a stocker will.
    For the steering brace, give ORD a call. http://www.offroaddesign.com/
    They have both teh bolt-on and weld-in braces. If you frame is not cracked all you need is the bolt-in.

If you look at this link you will find a tech-article i wrote up on how to check the steering system out on a newer chevy, (read: IFS) however the parts about how to check ball joints ans tie rods are essentially the same.
    http://www.brokentrucks.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=5

TRE= Tie rod end
    DLE= Drag link end

8. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thanks allot for all the help, as far as the brace goes if its not cracked is it still better to go with the weld in or is it not worth it? i lifted up the front end this morning and i didnt see any movment in the wheels so i guess my bearings and ball joints are ok? i did find the leak though one of the metal pipes on top of the gear box (i think) is leaking, i also found out i need a stronger jack :)

9. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think the weld in brace is much better.

10. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

i was looking at thier website at work and apparently they suggest both, so ill deffinatley get the bolt on cuz its easyier and ill get the weld in down the road when i start really off roading :)

anybody know how much power steering fluid i need, i got two quarts that should fill it right?

11. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

i dont know if anybody is still reading this but i really need help now. as i said i found the leak so i went to napa and got the replacment hoes for my power steering, after i got the first one off (its broken now) i realized the napa ones were wrong, i also tried national auto who didnt have any i am going to go to advanced auto and A & A tomarrow and also try the dealer. this shouldnt be that hard to get though should it?!? does the dealer still have parts for an 88 blazer? they dont make anything for my fiero any more and that also an 88.

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

What hose is it. The pressure or return?
    Pressure has "swedged" fittings where the rubber mets teh hard portion.

Return just uses hose clamps.

13. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

oops, i forgot to mention that, it is the return line i think (i already has hose clamps on it so it must be the return) but the metal part that screws into the steering box that the rubber hose is hooked to is the part i need to replace, any suggestions on where i can get it?

14. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Junk yard?
    I would think that you could still get one form a dealership or parts store. You could really use one from any steering box that had the same fitting. It is only the return line and you could just get a longer piece of rubber hose and run it to accomidate the use of a non-original metal end.

If that makes any sense

15. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

yeah thats what i was going to do but i wasnt sure where i could get one. it turns out the dealer does still have them :woot: i was worried they wouldnt since its an 88. my fiero is also an 88 and gm no longer makes anything for it cuz of its age but i guess they like the blazer better (the part is probably still used) anyway thanks allot for all the help. just out of curiosity i was looking at the other end of the hose, on the pump, is it possible to change them with out takeing out the engine? it didnt look like there was any room to get in there.

16. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

There is enough room to get the lines changed with the pump still attached to the engine, but on the other hand there are only a few bolts holding the pump to the motor. You might as well remove it.

It will make the job easier.

17. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

you can get the pump out? without any major surgery, if its not too hard ill just change all the power steering hoses while im down there.