Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need tires with tough sidewalls. Which ones?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have recently managed to cut the sidewall on 2 of my BFG mudterrains, I need some tires with tough sidewalls, I was thinking about the IROK Bias tires, is anybody here running those?

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Any swamper Bias ply will be your best bet. I don't have IROK's but I have seen them in action and they do rocks pretty damned good.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

What size?

You dont say what size tires though.

Toyo m55's have steel sidewalls.

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

The superswamper sx have stronger sidewalls. I ran the 35x15.50's on my 91 blazer.

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

iroks have an pretty good sidewall on them, but TSL SX have one of the toughest

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Super Swamper TSL SX's have the toughest sidewall of any offroad tire that I am aware of. They will beat any other common offroad tire for sidewall toughness hands down. The down side is though that they are heavy, wear fast, don't ride all that great. I have seen SX's take sidewall cuts that would kill almost every other offroad tire on the planet and keep on trucking down the trail with no problems.

What is the type of terrain that you wheel? How hard do you wheel? Are you looking for a street friendly tire or an offroad only tire?

Harley

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you forgot about the michelins... ;) those 53s have so much rubber in their sidewalls, that a some guys over on pirate actually destroyed a couple of them trying to add tread to 'em with a grooving iron. lol! Can't remember why it didn't work out, but those suckers are about an inch thick on the sidewalls. doh!

SXs are hella tough too. ;)

j

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The michelins have steel belts in the sidewall, if you cut past 1/8" you can comprimise the tire.

SX's are best, then mickey T's baja claw, than most other bias ply, then radials.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

old bias plys..

We ran old petrified bias nylon cord 8 ply truck tires on our demolition derby cars!--it was pretty rare to flatten one of them,espcially if they had radial tubes in them..I bet you could not hurt the sidewalls of those with an axe!...I wish street tires had thicker sidewalls..frigging radials are like an inner tube!--you just scrape a curb once,next thing you know the sidewall is JUNK,and the tire is too.... :doah: :mad: --a girl I know who parks by the "braille" method could use some stiffer sidewalls..she replaces the passenger side front tire about once a month!.. :haha:

10. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I don't care to much about street friendly, this is for my trail rig only. I don't want to go bigger than 36's and I know the IROK Bias comes in that size and the price is decent so I am thinking about getting those. I do all kinds of terrain, dirt, rocks and sand. I try to stay out of the mud cause I hate the freaking clean up afterwards :D

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

IROK's are a great choice :D

12. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got 42" iroks and I have been less than impressed with their durability. On my first trip out, I cut the two right side tires in several places. One was extremely deep and was slowly leaking air. I got home as quick as I could, and found that the tire was no longer leaking. Go figure. Now that I think about it, I love my self repairing tires! But really, there was no telling what was in the ruts I was running through. I did see some 1x4's from someones old fence stuffed into ruts to help free a previously stuck truck. Since then, with about three months of abuse, they show only normal cuts and abrasions. The fronts have worn badly on the outside edge due to the newfound turning radius with crossover steering. The 33" BFG muds I had a long time ago was one of the most durable tires I have ever run. Too bad they don't make them in a 42" version.

13. FWP

FWP CRS

SX. If only they made em in a 42 :(

14. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

im on the waiting list with u, untill then its 38.5's.

15. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That makes three of us... c'mon Interco!

16. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I'd Go Tsl Sx's Myself

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to be rockcrawling in areas with jagged rocks I would go with TSL SX's that are grooved over IROKs. IROKs chunk like a bastard in the jagged stuff. If that was my two choices I would go with the SX's over IROKs.

Harley