Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to buy a lawnmower... Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shaggy, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Since I'm buying a house with a decent sized lawn, I'm going to need to get myself a lawnmower. I don't suppose that anyone knows alot about lawnmowers and what the good ones are? I'm used to the cheap-ass ones that die after a couple of years, but I don't want one of those. I want something that will last for many years and be reliable the whole time. I want one that mulches so I don't have to bag the clippings, plus the fact that leaving the clippings on the lawn is much healthier for the grass.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Toro Super Recycler, it's got a big 6.5HP Briggs & Stratton engine, is supposed to mulch into very tiny bits that sink into the lawn, and has an aluminum deck and RWD. I don't know if I want a FWD mower, I wouldn't mind a push mower too much but the lawn is kinda big so maybe a self driven one would be good. Anyways, anyone have any opinions?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't mind a push mower too much but the lawn is kinda big

[/ QUOTE ]
    Moving up to a 1/4 acre yard? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I rented a house that came with a riding mower for a tiny yard. Big PITA because I spent more time stopping and backing up because the mower couldnt make a u-turn without hitting landscaping blocks that outlined the yard.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'm sorry, I meant a push mower vs a push mower that has driven wheels so you don't actually push it, just follow behind it. I wouldn't get a riding mower for a yard this size. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

that is what i have i like it did you look at the key start it is so nice i like that part a rwd key start now if it dumped the grass in the can that would be cool /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

So you bag the grass? Does it mulch very well? I've been reading a bit about lawn care and from what I've seen, the mulched clippings contribute more nitrogen to the living grass than any fertilizer will. But, if it leaves big chucks of grass in the lawn then I'd rather bag it.

6. ramjet gmc

[ QUOTE ]
    So you bag the grass? Does it mulch very well? I've been reading a bit about lawn care and from what I've seen, the mulched clippings contribute more nitrogen to the living grass than any fertilizer will. But, if it leaves big chucks of grass in the lawn then I'd rather bag it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    more like chunks like most mulchers so i bag and the stop start i like the key is so nice

but the 3day old brown grass on the lawn looks bad and the prople on my block are killing me i can not keep up with them i cut the lawn 1 time a week them every 4 days like a golf corse

an let me add the speed is set by pushing on the handle push lite and go slow hard and it will go fast and it is not hevey for handling it when off

7. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I still use the Honda my parents passed on to me when the wife and I bought our first house. They cost an arm and a leg but its 18 yrs old and starts on the first pull.

I don’t know what size engine is in the new ones but I think they are all rear wheel drive and are the trisexual bag/mulch/side discharge type.

I can’t say if the new ones would last as long as mine but if it petered out on me I’d buy another one.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

why not get a 4wd lawnmower on 33's???

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    why not get a 4wd lawnmower on 33's???

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the grass needs to be shorter than 2 feet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. ramjet gmc

[ QUOTE ]
    I still use the Honda my parents passed on to me when the wife and I bought our first house. They cost an arm and a leg but its 18 yrs old and starts on the first pull.

I don’t know what size engine is in the new ones but I think they are all rear wheel drive and are the trisexual bag/mulch/side discharge type.

I can’t say if the new ones would last as long as mine but if it petered out on me I’d buy another one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i looked at them to but i gave up a leg alredy but a good mower The toro did all the same things I just hope I get the same life out of it as the Honda /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I would like to add I am now my father I am talking about lawn mowers and mulching and hoping it will last a long
    time /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

on e bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2350738398&category=50377

i got it on e bay for 300.00 and 50 shiping i needed the specal walking system this had i have a bad leg ( canser got a steel knee now)

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've worked for 3 years at an ACE Hardware that is a servicing Toro dealer.

What you've picked out is a very good mower. The cast aluminum deck and the Briggs are a good combo. With the cast aluminum deck, you're looking at around $450-500 depending on drive system, etc. Where I work, we probably sold 20 times more of the steel deck than the aluminum deck, but that's to be expected for the price differences you see.

The two types of drive systems Toro uses is the Personal Pace which is a handle that moves as you walk. It matches the pace you walk and the rear wheels drive using this system. It's actually pretty good. We've only had a couple come back to us because the rear wheels won't "unlock" (drive system doesn't disengage when handle is pulled all the way back). It's just a simple cable adjustment to correct this. But, like I said, it's only a couple we've had come back. The other system is a front-drive lever activated propulsion system. This is my personal preference, although we sold about equal of both types.

Are you set on getting the cast aluminum deck? The standard Toro recycler with the steel deck will be closer to the $300 range, although then you're getting a 6.5hp Tecumseh engine. The Tec engines are not as nice as the Briggs engines in my opinion, but they do alright.

There are a bunch of combinations you can get these mowers in (ie, front drive/personal pace, big rear wheels, electric start, standard push mower.) The most common one we sold was (I think model 20017) just the Toro Recycler with the 6.5hp Tec engine, steel deck, and front wheel drive. I think that one sells for $299 where I work.

These Toro mowers are mulching, side-discharge, and bagging all in one unit. It's a matter of literally seconds to change from one to the other.

Oh, and one thing to keep in mind. If you buy the standard toro with the steel deck and Tecumseh engine, you will want to bump up the rpms on it. All come with pre-set engine speeds from the factory...there are no throttle controls, but they come from the factory running about 2800rpm. You need to take the governor tab that the spring is connected to and bend it so that it's straight up and down...that will put you at 3000-3100rpm which is where these engines should run.

Whatever you do, stay away from Lawn-boy (yes, it's a Toro product, but a piece of junk in my opinion).

Any more questions, just ask.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I saw some of them on e-bay, but I was looking at the Super Recycler vs the Recycler. It's a bit more expensive but has anm aluminum deck and a Briggs & Stratton engine. You can only get them at Toro dealer$ so it's hard to find them for good deals. Hmmm, decisions... I would get a Honda but they're SO expensive for the nice ones.

Heavy, you posted at the same time I did. Thanks for the info! I don't mind spending the extra money if the higher end one is going to last longer, and I kind of think that the Briggs & Stratton engine will help it last longer. Good info about the governer tab too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The personal pace thing sounds a bit goofy to me, I'd rather just make the thing go the speed that works for me then follow along. Thanks again for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Honda as well. I neded up going lawn tractor. It was doable with mower but 45 mins with the tractor verses 2 hours with the Honda.

To bad your not closer. My Mom is selling her honda. Still runs great. About 12 years old. Was $600 new. Starts second try with freash gas.

14. ramjet gmc

[ QUOTE ]

The personal pace thing sounds a bit goofy to me, I'd rather just make the thing go the speed that works for me then follow along. Thanks again for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal Pace System - This exclusive Toro system allows mowing speeds that are infinitely adjustable to your walking pace - up to 4.8 miles per hour. All it takes is slight pressure on the handle to adjust the acceleration effortlessly to your chosen speed. It puts you in control, allowing you to slow down easily for trimming

i like mine and it works very well do not have a 2nd thought

15. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got a White mower w/ a Briggs & Stratton engine. Had it for 4 years and starts on first pull. I think it's pretty hard to go wrong w/ a B & S engine. Yearly maint of plug and oil change pays dividends of course. Honda is very good as well.

16. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

My part time job is at Sears as a salesman in the lawn and garden section. If you want durability, here's a few things to consider. Typical Briggs motors just offer an"oil bath" type of lubrication. The Honda and Kohler motors offer an oil pum system to push the oil throughout the motor. You will pay a little more (quite a bit more for the Honda) for these but they should last longer. If cervice or reapir is an issue, Craftsman mowers have an optional 3 year "In Home" warranty for $250. Everything is covered except for oil, plugs and blades. If it breaks, call them and they will comne to your house instead of you loading it up and bringing it in and waiting for the service department to get to yours.
    Not sure how other brands are

17. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just bought one of these after having a craftsman for the last 8 years. Night and day difference. If you want a good quality mower that will make mowing your yard a breeze, then this is the one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Ive never been nuts about self propelled the only time I use it is when I go up the hill in the side yard. Just buy yourself a pygmy goat and use one of those invisible fences to keep it in the yard. pluss its small enough to be house trained and sleep inside at night. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

At the last place I lived with a yard, I had a horse and a goat....

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

For $250 they better clean the house and give me a BJ when they come out too... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Eric, how much did that Honda run you?

I don't think the neighbors would be too happy about a goat in my backyard, this is in a housing tract, not the country. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif