Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to find out how to replace my front wheel bearings on my 86 K5.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, Jun 7, 2002.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I just installed manual locking hubs so the bearings are easy to get to. Is there a special tool to remove the bearing cap? What keeps the bearings at the proper tightness? The manual hub directions say that the snap ring and washer on the bearing cap should be removed which I did.
    Thanks,
    Kyle

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

The snap ring they are talking about probably holds the inner part of the locking hub in. Once you have gotten that out you need to have a 4 prong socket. You can pick these up at any auto parts store. You need to use this to take the outer nut off, then there will be a retainer ring that keeps the inner nut tight. It looks like a washer with a bunch of holes in it. The holes line up with a stud on the inner nut, and there is a notch that lines up with a notch on the spindle so it can't turn. Once this is out, use the 4 prong socket to get the inner nut off. This is the nut that actually places torque on the bearings. The outer nut and retaining ring are just there to insure this nut doesn't come loose. Hope this helps, pretty easy to do. It's helpful to have little picks to get the snap ring of the hub, and the retainer ring off. You can get them at walmart for a couple bucks. - Doug

3. Jed

Jed Registered Member

I just went through this and got a lot of good suggestions from this forum about re-torquing the hub adjusting nut correctly (the manual's directions don't always work out). It was about a month ago. If you search on "bearing torque" you'll probably find the posts.