Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to fix my front drive shaft. (Update 04/20/07)

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by bigdave1050, Apr 8, 2007.

1. bigdave1050

bigdave1050 1/2 ton status

Yesterday I went out on a little trek to go hiking up in the Superstition Wilderness. I went to put the truck in hi-lock and when I started to drive, the truck made a loud "clicking" sound. When I got home I looked at the front drive shaft and it was so loose that I can move it side to side and up and down. I don't know if I'm ready to make this type of repair on my truck yet. (I have mechanical confidence issues) So does anyone know where I can take my truck (PHX area) to have it fixed? Or is
    there someone on here that would like to make a little extra cash for helping me fix this?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Is it just a U-joint or what? sorry I could'nt tell from your post. (the truck made a loud "clicking" sound. When I got home I looked at the front drive shaft and it was so loose that I can move it side to side and up and down). I can probably walk through a Ujoint change.

3. bigdave1050

I think it might be just the U joints, but I do not have enough experence to tell if it is something else.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mines floppy too , just a little play in the slip , and a real nice flexible well worn CV . Have yet to break it ( knocking on wood ) . Thats my only piece of hardware thats been on every single wheeling trip besides my steering wheel and speaker wires :thumb:

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Speaker wires do help with flex after all.:D

6. bigdave1050

I'm going to order the U-joints today. Is there anything else I should replace at the same time?

7. pauly383

Technically your supposed to do the CV ball repair kit , but if the CV works , don't touch it until you grenade it .

Like I said before mine is day one original to my truck .

8. bigdave1050

My U-joints showed up today (a week late) so I pulled the shaft and low and behold. the ball in the cv shaft is shreded. So I'll order a repair kit for it. But the bad thing is I cant get the old Joints off the shaft. Is there a trick?

9. FWP

FWP CRS

There's a tool kit you can get at Harbor Freight for 35 bucks or so. Called a 3 in 1 service kit for ball joints etc. Looks like a big C-clamp with various attachments. That and a good impact will get the joints out or break the yokes. A CV is a bit tricky, work the H yoke sides of the ujoints out first.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Also stock ujoints are often held in with injection molded plastic instead of c-clips. If that is the case take a torch to the ujoints caps and get them hot so the plastic is more plyable and easier to get out.

Harley

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Also if you are going to replace the yoke end ujoint I personally (I may just be dumb) have never been able to get the stock ujoint out without having to cut one of the trunion ears off with an angle grinder. It is possible that I may have tweeked the ears with the ujoint press a little though. I personally have wheeled my truck with stock driveshafts and stock CV ujoints. I have replaced the pinion yoke end ujoint on the shaft I am running now but the CV is stock ujoints.

I am on my 2nd driveshaft in the front. The stocker lasted 20 years and then the slipyoke was a little to loose for me so I replaced it with another stock shaft that had a tighter SY on it and have wheeled that stock shaft since.

Harley

12. bigdave1050

ok I got all three U-jioints off.. I think my centering yoke is broke here is a picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as i can tell there is supposed to be a nipple like thing on the ball.
    [​IMG]

I thought i could just get a ball seat kit but looks like those are for 77 and up shafts. mine falls into the 73-76 range that requires the centering yolk to be replaced. Is this correct?

13. pauly383

If its any easier , I can dig one out of my garage ( I hoard stuff like this ) for ya .

Drop off your broke stuff and I can play with it .

14. bigdave1050

Sounds good, when is a good time to meet up?

15. pauly383

Wifey works late tonight , or maybe sometime Sunday :)

16. bigdave1050

I have a date on sunday to watch meet the robinsons with my kids (All day thing) so thats out. I'm home all day today, I can meet you later tonight.

17. pauly383

6 oclock if you like , gives me time to settle in for the ballgame at 7pm :pimp: