Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to Flush out my Block HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Redfrog, May 14, 2003.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

May 4, 2001
    Ok I flushed out My entire cooling system 5x's, To no avail
    I need to have the radiator boiled, My question is has anyone ever left the Auto tranny lines hooked up to the radiator and removed the upper and lower hoses,stuck a water hose in the lower hose and flushed out the block While the engine Running.

I cannot see what it would hurt except for air pockets,
    Would it work better if I took out the plugs at the bottom of the block?

If this is a completely asinine idea is there a better or easier way? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I want to make sure that the block is cleaned out so the Crap that is in the block does not get back in to the cleaned radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
  2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Apr 20, 2003
    Your theory shouldn't hurt anything, provided you don't do it for an extended period of time (I'd say no more than around 5 min, remember straight water doesn't lube the seal of the water pump). I would definitely pull the lower block drain plugs out, if they will come out, as sometimes they are real content where they are. If you manage to get them out, don't reuse them, get yourself some new brass ones before you start (1/4" NPT) available at any good parts store or hardware store. When the threaded plugs come out, you may have to take a pocket prybar (screwdriver) and dig around in the holes a bit to open a passage for water to escape as often times the holes are plugged up from the inside with the sediment/etc that you are trying to remove. Also, you'll want to remove your thermostat and flush backwards occasionally during your flushing proceedure. This will help loosen up some of the goodies lying in wait in the lower reaches of your block. Whne you refill, use fresh coolant and distilled water for best results/minimum minerals. Have fun making your mess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!