Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to get off the coke...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Jan 20, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The black kind, not the white kind! I have a bad gut, and had 14" of it removed about a year ago. The Doc said "no more soda for you". I still drink about 8 cans of Coca-Cola a day, and nothing else. I've tried several times to stop, but I can't. Without it I have no energy and get bad headaches. And I can't eat anything without drinking a Coke. I think that me quiting Coca-Cola is comparable in difficulty to a smoker quiting smoking.

Any advice from the Brotherhood?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Try Coke Zero for a while. I know Coke is delicious, but trust me.

I haven't eaten any sugar in about a month maybe, and after than, any Diet Soda is sachrine... after a while it gets too bad and you switch to tea... then water

Cheap! Healthy!

....or take up smoking, it's awesome

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I can't afford cigarettes, even if smoking is awesome. I would like to end up drinking water only though.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you quit Coke, you'd definitely be able to afford smoking.

5. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

what joe said, go to diet coke, from there it is easy to go to water, i cured my type 2 diabetes by diet, cutting out the sugar, once i switched to diet soda it was easier to switch to water, good luck

6. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

back a few years ago i was getting abit heavy from drinking cokes , i forced myself to drink diet coke and have been for about 5 years i cant even stand the taste of reg coke any more.

7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i know what you mean divorced, i was raised on sodas and candy and fried foods and tons of butter. my mom tried to limit our intake of candy and sodas and junk food but we still ate it. it comes down to sheer will power IMHO. if the need is serious enough you will find away. some people cant, or just wont no matter what. its cause they really dont want to, not bad enough anyways. i have done the same as you where all i drank seemed to be sodas in the past, not to your extream but still too many. i just got tired of feeling crappy psyically. i quit cold turkey on cigs and drugs and pot when i was in my early 20's, and i did alot of drugs back then, just got sick of it. if you make the effort, REALLY!!!!!! make the effort and stop drinking sodas for a length of time you wont go back.

its probably more then that though. i would think you probably need to change to better eating habbits. i have to force myself to drink milk on a regular basis. i drink tons of water now, and i dont go anywhere near fast food. again i grew up on that too. its effort bud try your best thats all you can do.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

if you have health insurance seek the assistance of a nutritionist,,,if you dont then

1) dont have any junk drinks around.... out of site will help the out of mind until your will power gets stronger...
    addiction is addiction whether its legal food or illegal drugs... some people have "addictive personalities"... or problems that are masked by the use of foods that increase the release of dopamine in the brain...
    A holistic view of your health... mental and physical ,, will help.. what I mean is an understanding that just coca cola isnt the only problem,,, but it is one you can focus on,,, and realizing this you can take baby steps to address it and look towards a healthier lifestyle... I think the first 6 weeks for any addicition is the hardest.. after that its all about maintaining discipline because the body no longer PHYSICALLY needs/wants the substance...however the brain doesnt forget so easily...

2) try switching to natural sugars when you get the pang.. apples bananas dates.. but you have to still be careful... sugar is sugar

3) Eat a balanced diet.. small more frequent meals are better than 3 gorging sitdowns... you will feel more satiated throughout the day... and it maintains a more balanced blood sugar level which staves off the "I need sugar right now craving"

4) Forget the advice about smoking,,, are they for real???
    trade one habit thats killing you for another? forget that...

5) Think about other things in your life that drive you to drink coke in excess... try to address them

6) go vegan... add a minimum of ten quality years to your life

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2006
  9. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Your headaches are probably from caffiene withdrawal. I have never much liked to drink soda, so I can't really advise about that. Maybe the switch to diet (with splenda not nutrasweet) would get you off the sugar and then you can wean off that to get past the caffiene withdrawal. I know people who have experience horrific headaches when trying to quit coffee.

Good luck, brother :)

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would have to agree about the caffine thing, sugar fixes are easy to cure. Try taking diet pills that have caffine in them, most if not all do. Who knows maybe you will lose weight to. Unless you don't have too then its kind of useless.:D The lack of enery is because your body is use to running on sugar exercise will fix that.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So far I've only had 1 can today. My stomach is crazy, and I have to really watch what I eat. The funnt thing is though, the healthy foods cause me problems. I can eat all the junk I want, but if I eat some veggies or drink milk everything turns to ****.

Actually, I have been trying for about 12 years to gain weight, and I'm up to a measly 160 pounds at 6' tall. Imagine that? I can eat as much of anything I want and never gain a pound. To most people this sounds great, but it's equally as depressing and agrivating to be scrawny and unable to gain weight.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's the idea of the function of your digestive system.... to turn everything to sh!t. :rolleyes: :D

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ahem,BS,ahem

14. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i have had the same problem all my life, if i breathed too hard i lost weight. i finally have a little belly but i still have the legs of a 12 yr old school girl :haha: :haha: :haha: and my arms aint much bigger. i have got used to it through out my life though, not much i can do about it.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's all will power. Just stop buying soda pop and drink water. I know, easier said then done, but you can do it.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no thanks, i'll just die.

got proof to back this up? say, oh i dunno, 120 year old vegans somewhere?

on that not, i'm going to go make myself a ham sandwich. nah, make it 2, im hungry.

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

when i was in college i was pretty much a chain coke drinker, id finish one and crack open another it was bad 12 pack a day somedays. Im down to 3-5 a day now.

I get headaches from hell if I dont drink it too, kinda funny if i wake up with a headache, and chug a coke, 10 min later its gone...

18. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

so howa bout the sugar free drink mix from walmart thats like 3 bucks for enough to make like 4 gallons..... thats how i kicked the soda, i now drink about 4 quarts of water, plus milk, about 1 gallon every 3rd day, and a 30 case of beer every week or so.... i kicked the soda caus i was spending to much money on it.....

19. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

All that sugar is REALLY bad for you, brother. Do you realize there are approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar in ONE can of Coke? If you drink 8 cans, you're essentially adding 80 TEASPOONS of sugar to your diet a day!!!!!!!!!! :yikes:

I used to drink a couple of cans a day, everyday. I switched to Diet Pepsi and gradually just stopped drinking pop all together. Nowadays I'll have the odd diet pop, but usually I drink coffee or water, along with the odd:wink1: White Russian.

Good luck, my friend. Any addiction is tough to beat. Keep us posted, eh?

20. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

oh I see how it is dale... go to oklihomela and forget your tofu eating sprout tasting california roots....

now your a redneck oildrilling meat eating beer swillin hick..... :-)

how is it there anyway... do you miss cali?

cam