Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to learn about slip yokes etc...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Dec 20, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I'm a newbie and need to learn about this kind of stuff, slip yoke, fixed yoke etc. Are there any good websites about this? thanks

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Well you're on the bets web site on the Net for learning about Chevy trucks. Check out the Specifications page on this site http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/ is a real good beginners page for Chevy trucks. He's got a lotta pics on there for identifying what's under your truck.

And don't hesitate to ask questions.

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

A slip yoke is where the driveshaft goes into the transfer case. If your driveshaft has a snout that slides into the transfer case, you have a slip yoke. The driveshaft snout slips on some splines in the transfer case to compensate for the rear axle moving up and down. If something happens to your rearend on the trail, and you need to get out, you CAN'T JUST PULL OFF THE REAR DRIVESHAFT AND DRIVE OUT!!! Tranny fluid will end up everywhere!
    Fixed yokes bolt the u-joint on the driveshaft to the transfer case. The splines that move are in the driveshaft. If you take off the driveshaft, you can still drive off without spilling fluid all over the place.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

4. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Ok now help me out on this, i'm new too. On a fixed yoke you will have a two piece drive shaft that slips/slides between them. Currently my front drive shaft has a lot of side play at this junction. I have not taken it apart yet to understand how it operates. Is this adjustable or do I need to replace something? What should I be looking at for wear?

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's not adjustable. The play is wear from miles and miles of suspension movement. It's simple how it operates. There is a female and a male side to the driveshaft and they slide in and out of each other... About the only thing you can try to do is grease it up, that can take some play out of it. Otherwise, you need to go to a driveshaft shop and get it sleeved or maybe even a new one. If you're going to get a lift, get the driveshaft AFTER the lift.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

6. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

That joint is a slip joint. Mine had a lot of play too when I bought it. There is supposed to be a gasket that stays in the female part and keeps in the grease/prevents metal to metal contact on the smooth part of the shafts. Mine was gone (and I guess your's is too). Get the driveshaft rebuilt.

The whole drive shaft unbolts at each end (at the front drive diff and at the transfer case). You might have to tap the end at the transfer case with a hammer (lightly). Even after I unbolted mine, it didn't want to come off the transfer case. You can run without the shaft in 2wd just fine. Take the while thing to a tranny place to get the joint rebuilt.

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>

7. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you are talking about that little gasket on the slip yoke part of the front driveshaft - I have the GM part number for that.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208