Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to make my car trailer fenders removable ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramjet gmc, Jul 14, 2003.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I need to make my car trailer fenders removable
    Has anyone dun this any pics?
    I am looking for some ideas before I start cutting in to it

Thanks in advance

Patrick
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not a huge help here, but a friend of a friend owns a race car trailer that has removable fenders.

Apparently it just uses two pins per fender to hold them in place. Pull the pins, fender drops off. On his it's only one fender, since its purpose built as a car trailer. You don't have to worry about opening the drivers door.

The way some fenders are attached, I would think the supports welded to the frame could be cut, and then use pins to connect the fender to the supports. I'm sure it would take SOME fabrication, but since the fender is already in place, you'd just have to figure out how best to use the pin method.

3. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

I am planning on building a small 'bridge' over my fenders, that way I can just drive right over them.
    I am just going to use some roll cage tubing, shape it like my fender, and weld it right next
    to the fender

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad just picked up a car trailer that is pretty "tall". Not good for a tall truck, but for a car it would be ok.

Anyways, kind of interesting setup. The trailer appears to be stock, but much higher off the ground than most car trailers. The advantage to this is that the fenders are almost non-existent, so they just put wood over the fenders, and you can drive over them.

Looks to me like you could just put the leaf spring under the axles, re-do the fenders, and have a much lower trailer.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Weld some 3" angle iron to the frame and have it go over the fenders. This way you can drive over the fenders, but still get a regular car between them. This is what I'm doing since I plan on using my trailer to tow more than my K5. I should be doing it this week or next (UCP is closer than you think /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) and I will post pics when I do