Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to see who can drill and taper a steering arm.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 55Willy, Jul 13, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I had two shops localy tell me they could but I have yet to hear back on a price.
    I have a shakerbilt arm I got off ebay that I need to have a hole drilled and tapered on to move the tie rod out.
    can anyone here help me?
    If I was back in Eugene I'd just take it to Sky.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Can't help much. I did mine with the help of a friend who had access to a properly tapered reamer. Find that and "problem solved". Good luck...

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Any machine shop should be able to do that for you relatively cheaply as long as they already have the reamer.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If the two shops here that claimed " we can do it" replied just as fast for the price request I sent them I would have already had it done. Anyone can do anything.. just depends on how much they want and what I'm willing to spend. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking of just having my brother take it to Sky. Ateast that way I know it gets done right.

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

If you are really hard up, give me the dimensions and I'll see if we have the right reamer. I do some machining at work. Could probably do it in no time. PM me with the info.

-Chris

6. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

You could also probably buy the reamer cheaper than the cost of paying a machine shop to do it. Not sure if you're willing to do that or not though.

If all other offers fall through, I'll do it for you. I can guarantee we don't have the reamer, but it shouldn't be that expensive. You buy the reamer, pay for shipping, I'll throw in the labor free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

8. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Hey Jeremy, I have Nate's reamer. I just had it sharpened today. Haven't had a chance to chuck it up yet, probably tomorrow. Is the arm on a truck or loose. Or if you want a shop to do it, check with Benson machine in Nampa, Cherry Lane east of Northside, quoted me $20.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I PM'd ya back. the arm is sitting in Eugene still. Sky quoted me $30 max without looking at it. My twin is hoping to come over in Aug and is towing the Wagon over here for me. I'll have him throw the arms in the mailbox and see what you guys can do.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Snap-On sells a reamer for repairing bunged-up tapered holes. It happen to be the perfect taper for reaming steering arms if you are using the common GM TRE's. They call it a Mechanic's Repair reamer. There is a large and a small, you want the large one. About $45 and if you are careful you can ream 3-7 holes with it b4 it goes away.

BTW, TRE tapers are not something normal machine shops have. They have taper reams, but the taper rate is far smaller.