Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need to upgrade my rear suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Jan 13, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

When I bought my Jimmy I got a 6" lift from superlift with the rear blocks. I hate the blocks,it rides really stiff and not much flex so I am going to do something else with it. I thought about buying one of those 4" shackle flips from ORD and adding one of thier "spacers" to make it sit even. Anybody else have any suggestions? I think that AK47 lift looks pretty good but I really can't afford $500 bucks. It has the stock springs on the back.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Ok, lets think real hard. If you have stock springs and blocks right now then you add a shackle flip and zero rates, but keep the leaves the same YOUR RIDE WILL NOT CHANGE. There is a possibility that you have an add a leaf because I've not know stock springs to ride stiff unless they are sagged and riding on the overloads. I would suggest some tuff country springs.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have the ORD 4" shackle flip + 3" Tuff Country EZ rides for the rear of my K5. (I went with 7" of lift for the rear because I wanted the rear slightly higher then the front.)

4. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, lets think real hard. If you have stock springs and blocks right now then you add a shackle flip and zero rates, but keep the leaves the same YOUR RIDE WILL NOT CHANGE. There is a possibility that you have an add a leaf because I've not know stock springs to ride stiff unless they are sagged and riding on the overloads. I would suggest some tuff country springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just assumed that the blocks made it ride that way. I am looking for better flex more than a better ride. I will check out the tuff country springs though.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Smooth ride and flex come together with a softer spring rate.

Shackle flips tend to increase ride quality significantly, even with stock springs. Because of the way the shackle works with the spring, they feel much softer.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Most of the 6" rear kits have a 4" block and a 2" add-a-leaf. The xtra leaf is what stiffens the rear spring. The block usually has no overall affect on "ride quality" although they do increase spring wrap. As with what "84 chevy K10" says, the reversed shackle will soften the ride. Many people, including me, have the shackle flip. I choose to make my own. The average flip will give you 4" lift. enough to remove the block. I might try the flip first with the spring pack you have. If it's still to stiff, you might have to get a new rear spring with 2" arch, but softer spring rate. Unless you carry alot in the back of your truck, I would ditch the overlaod spring as that hinders flex.

7. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

The kit I bought only came with 5 1/2 blocks....no add leafs. I am defintly going to do the shackle flip but that will leave the back sitting about 2"'s lower than the front. I look at tuff country's 2" springs and they are too expensive for me; I think they were $350. Anybody using that spacer than ORD makes?

8. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Another question....who makes the "softest" springs? This probably has a lot to do with personal preferance but i'd still like to know what you think.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

zero rates? yes. I have one on the front axel. Offset, moved axel 1" foward. gonna do same for rear. swapping in 56" rear springs. I have a set of rancho 2" 52" in there now.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have the offset block under my 4" springs (and it still doesn't sit as high as my 4" front springs /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)... Anyhow, a new rear spring by itself or a 2"spring and shackle flip would be good. If I remember right the shackle flip will also move the axle forward a bit /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    So a shackle flip with a recentered 2" spring would be cool. Another option for a smooth ride and flex would be the flip and 57" springs, there's another thread I just read that is persuading me to that direction.

my .02 anyway