Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need TPI help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Can anyone recommend a good book about Chevy TPI fuel injection? One that explains what each part does? More specifically for a 1986 Camaro TPI?

The problem right now is that when I'm about to stop, the engine stalls. Sometimes I'm driving and the tach needle goes a little crazy and it tries to stall, but if I'm on the gas pedal, it doesn't. The idle is usually about 750rpm but then it goes crazy to 1000-1200 and the stalls. The only code the computer gives is EGR Control Failure

I don't know why, but the previous owner removed the AIR injection system, the cruise control and spliced many wires on the harness. The only fix I've done is recently I replaced the Spark Control Module to fix a rough idle problem. I'll soon buy a new EGR valve.

If I can fix this TPI, I'll swap it into my Blazer, but I want to make it work perfectly in the Camaro before I do the swap. Any help is greatly appreciated.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Hayne's makes a decent manual. They have one on command computer controls, one on evaporative emissions controls and one specifically for fuel injection. They are about 13.00 ea. at autozone. You'll probably find them all useful. Your "code" just gives you a likely place to start looking. You'll need to test specific sensors the manuals (most notably the command computer controls book) tell you how to do this on the obd2 and similar systems. One thing you might look for right away is "false air", air getting in beyond the maf sensor or under the throttle body (depending on where you intake air is metered) That's responsible high idle and stalling in most of the cases I've come accross. If there aren't any broken ducts, and the bolts on your throttle body are tight, it's time to trouble shoot. Don't forget after you try something to clear the codes from memory, disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds. Otherwise you could get a code after you have fixed the problem.

"who dares wins"

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

You could have a loose ignition wire(s) on the Distributor (it has a large-cap, internal coil, right?). I had my tach wire work loose once (or maybe I put it on loose) and right before it fell off, it would go on and off, making the tach jump all over and eventually stalling the truck.

If you want to swap the engine into your truck, just get a 90-92 harness (painless, howell, SNP, etc) with a 1227730 speed-density computer. All the wiring will be right on w/o screwing around, and you can get a chip made w/o VATS, can purge, etc. You won't have to hack up the camaro harness or use the undesirable MAF sensor and calibration.

Oh yeah, Jags-that-run makes a good TPI swapping book. Look it up in your favorite search engine, and I think amazon.com sells it.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Try Summit Racing, they have a lot of useful books..

800-630-3030

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. 89 Blazzer

89 Blazzer Registered Member

I am not sure what to say about your problem, but I have a TPI related question. We have an 86 Z28 with a 305 / TPI. Can a 350 be swapped in place of the 305. I know it will fit under the hood because the dimensions are the same, but will the TPI be compatable and run well with the 350? Also does anyone know a good Z28 forum, hopefully as good as this one??

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My brother has a 86 IROC-Z with a 305 TPI too (LB9). We are planning on doing this swap. I've heard it will run with the 305 injectors if you use a Fuel Pressure Regulator to increase the pressure. If you don't you will need larger injectors. As for a forum, try www.3rdgen.org My brother is a moderator over there. His nick is Drowned.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. realsquash

You'll need a 350 chip and 350 injectors (24 lb/hr). The 305 injectors were 19 lb/hr. You can also get away with running a higher fuel pressure on 305 injectors, but your gonna have to run 65 lb/hr, which is too high IMHO.

The 9th injector should be the same.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Try the book Chevy TPI fuel Injection Swapper's Guide by John Baechtel
    SA Design book,

My buddy runs a 350 with a TPI w/305 injectors and has no problems. I have a 88 TPI from an IROC. It runs great

Good Luck
    Michael

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Try ordering www.jagsthatrun.com's book...its supposed to be better then that HP book which i have...just picked up a 86 camero set-up...so i'll be going thru all of this stuff here soon with my 76 K5 Chalet first since i don't drive it everyday...then if all goes well i'll go ahead and do the 79 ... my daily driver and trail machine. Also BlazzinOr did the swap in his 79....with a 406 and he reports 15 mpg....gotta love that!

AZBlazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

10. Hey on the injector issue,you can use mustang 24lb injectors
    from a speed shop!They are alot cheeper than gm injectors,I have a set in my IROC 383 tpi I run 30 lb's,they plug right in.Hope this helps someone.
    P.S. I know that mustangs dont come factory with 24's,I mean aftermaket replacement's.LOL
    IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

11. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Try Chevy TPI Fuel Injection Swappers Guide by S-A Design
    How to tune & Modify Chevrolet Fuel injection
    by Motorbooks

350 Vortec TPI D60 14Bolt 4.56 4"lift 35 BFG A/T

12. realsquash