Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Need Windshield Help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblaza, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bigblaza

bigblaza Registered Member

Im about 80% complete on my re-build (85 K5) and it was time for a new windshield to go in. By the way the old windshield has been out for almost 2 years now. Anyway, so I have the original gasket from when I bought the truck used 9 years ago, and have not done any work to the windshield area or in the cab other than removing rust and paintng that lip that the gasket goes around. Now my problem is, the safelite auto glass guy came and attempted to put the windshield but came to the realization that it wouldn't fit, it was to big or the gasket wont allow it to fit, I was a bit suspect of this assumption but the guy said he would order a new windshield and try again in a few days. So he was back today and the same issue. Everytime he went to wedge the windshield in it popped back out. We tried everything from wd-40 to installing the windshield on the gasket then putting the whole thing onto the cab, no luck. This guy seem to be quite knowledgeable in window installation so I dont doubt his know how, but his suggestion was to get a new gasket. Now my question is does everyone/anyone think this is the correct assumption?? Has anyone ran into a problem like this before? I have no problem getting a new gasket (they're only like $40 new) if this will work. CAn anyone shed some light on this???

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Perhaps if the gasket was left hanging for a period of time, in the sun, heat, etc., it would stretch enough not to seal to the windshield good enough to hold the windshield in place.

It does seem odd though, the gasket in my truck (new windshield) came out of a wrecking yard truck, and looked like it was the original. They seem to hold up VERY well. I'm leery of non-GM weatherstripping. I just don't think the quality is there to last as long as the GM stuff.

3. bigblaza

Ok so its cold here (32-40 degrees) and the truck stays in the garage where it doesn't see sunlight and stays cold, the glass comes in a truck (heated) do you think there could be a big enough difference in temp to make the metal cool and shrink enough to not give the windshield enough room to fit??? does that sound plausible??

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I doubt it. Glass doesn't expand like metal (not even sure it DOES change shape until it gets VERY hot, or shattered lol) so if that WERE a problem, you'd see it on every truck that got cold. :)

5. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

yeah thats wierd, mine went right in at the pick n pull parking lot in about 3 minutes with an old gasket grantet it was a 20$ used piece of glass. Did you try using soap to get it to seat. That works for the stubborn ones. Also try soaking the gasket in warm water to make it more plyable as the used ones are often hard from years of weather.

6. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

i got an 85 jimmy, and had no problem installing the new window. used old gasket too cause it looked fine. i live in california where it is over 80 most of the time. and no problems.

7. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I had no problems when I put mine back in. I cut the windsheild frame and graghted on a 75 frame, still fit! I placed my glass in the frame without the seal a couple times to check, and made sure the gap was the same around it. It's nice to have a helper for that. It went right in for 3 test fits with the rubber, then I broke it before the truck was finished.(Rollbar fell on it.):doah: So I had to pay for a new one and install anyway.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

How is he installing it?
    The way I know to install these old windshields is to place a rope in the groove doubled up and then will the rope end inside and the windshield pressed against the frame with a corner slipped in, start pulling the rope in while pressing on the glass from outside (two man job), the rope will pull the lip out to help get it in and it's a 1 minute deal once the rope is on the windshield and ready to go.
    If he's trying it any other way, it has a chance to pull back out.:D
    Then you need to put the strip that locks it in place or the glass will pop out.

9. bigblaza

Yup he tried that way...and about 3 other ways....nothing. WEll I talked to another window shop and they said that if oil or any petroleum product come in contact with that gasket it has the possibility to expand, and in expansion come less room for window. So I have ordered another windshield gasket and am gonna try it again tomorrow, just hope this works, cause this **** don't make any ****ing sense.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is true, oils will make the rubber swell.

11. irishraptor87

irishraptor87 1/2 ton status

im a windsheild tech, i work for glass america here in CT

sometimes the safelite guys arent that great... dunno tho

its possible that the gasket itself is cold, if you have another car, stick it on the dash with the defrost blasting at it (when i do one like this in the very cold, i usually get to that point and sit in my van with the defrost blasting at it, and that helps a boatload)

different gaskets can make it harder or easier depending on the situation

these types of windows are easier if you dont rope them in but place the gasket in place then settle the window in the bottom gap, then using a fiber stick, follow around the outside, afterwards putting in the spacer, make sure he is evenly putting the window in left to right, as sometimes it can be mis spaced and putting too much pressure in one spot

it usually should only take a little bit of silicone lube spray to get it in there

when the guy comes next, go out there and meet him, tell him to get his suction cups out, which he should have, and help him do a 'dry set'

which means you put the window in without using whatever holds it in place, windsheild glue or in this case the gasket

line the window up with the pinch weld, it should look like it should fit real nice, if not, theres an obvious problem

also, sometimes glass shops order glass and they order the part number for the vans that are the same years as our trucks and the same rubber set style, if you put them next to each other they would look virtually identical, but they arent, the van corners are much wider, this has happened before

also sometimes the aftermarket glass is not 'perfect' size, this can be a big problem since you are dealing with a rubber gasket and not just windsheild urethane

and when he gets there next time, i assume you are getting 'new' glass from them, ask to see the glass, if you are having safelite do your work, they will give you the glass that they make, its ****, its the worst glass made, it pitts within a year and it will need to be replaced again, i have never head as many complaints as i have from them, mostly from the glass they make, check the glass, the top companys use 3 letter abbreviations, safelite uses SGC 'safelite glass company', thats the crap you dont want, use PPG or LOF, both make good glass that is often used as OEM glass, but safelite wont let you use anything else, you are better off going to the junkyard and getting a peice of original, they might let you do an R&R 'remove and reinstall' meaning they use your glass and you only get charged labor, this would be the best way to go, i hate to see you end up with their crappy glass

good luck, hope this helps, let me know if you need to know anything else

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

the same way i did it, but i didn't have the fiber stick,,,had to do it REALLY carefully with a flat tipped screwdriver..

oh and some soapy water helped too :D

13. irishraptor87

HAHAHA, you my friend, are a rebel, my boss would throw up if he saw that

14. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

What's a fiber stick? Any other non-metal item work?

This is a thread I needed:D

15. bigblaza

well thanks for all the info...I finally got it in. I got a new gasket and an original windshield from a junkyard it excellent shape and it took a little work but it finally went in with soapy water and a "fiber" stick...thats for all the help. I guess the 25 bux for the registration to ck5 really paid off. Ended up saving $100 from buying my own $hit than having someone install it for me...

16. irishraptor87

glad i could help, and i guarentee you will be much hapier with the glass you ended up with than theirs

a fiber stick is basically a flat plastic stick that is still hard enough to be able to work with

if you need one and cant get one, i suggest taking a regular old bic pen, taking it apart, so that you only have the white plastic tube part, if you flatten one end, it will be able to fit into the gasket space

i would post pics, but i dont feel like taking out my windsheild only to put it back in lol

im sure it took you a good 20 mins to put that little strip back in the gasket to seal it up too lol

theres a tool you can buy for 7 dollars which comes for the fittings for putting those in, basically as you pull, it spreads the gasket and lays the strip in as you go, a 20 min job on that takes me all of one min to do, good investment, save some blood pressure

i got mine at a place called lots n more, they have a bunch of different tools there

this place sells them online for 15
    http://www.menintools.com/lisle/windowstrip.html

this is what it looks like
    [​IMG]

17. diggy

diggy Registered Member Premium Member

subscribed