Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need your help please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BLZN4FN, May 20, 2005.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok 2 weeks ago I came home on a saterday from work. Wife said my dad is coming over so I said ok. So he came over and said I'm 83 years old and I should not be driving so here is my car,title and keys. So I went down Monday titled the car in my name put ins on the car and have been driving the car for 2 weeks. So starting on Tuesday he calls my wife and said I'm so depressed that I dont have my car but she talked with him for about 1/2 hour by the end he was just fine. So today he calls agine and goes I want my car back.

So here is the problem my wifes car was on a lease from Honda. As of next Friday I need to turn the car back in to Honda so the plan was to drive my new to me car and the wife was to drive the F350 till her homes for sale close she is a Realtor. we were going to buy here a used Tahoe.

So what do I do? Give him back the car and be stuck with only 1 car till money comes in or tell him he is **** out of luck you gave me the car.

I dont want to be a A$$ hole but I dont want to be stuck with one 1 car and having to find my way around town my Bus or hope I have no place to go without the wife taking me there.

talk to me Guys what should I do

Bo

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wow, i guess sorry DADUMS.you gave it up so i can't screw my wife.??? :D

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Maybe for the next week you can just drive him a few places until you can give it back when your not in a bind.

4. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would have to agree with jimminycricket try to see if givin him rides would help if not just give it back after all when your 84 you might need your kids to give back your car. just confirm he can still drive safely. my grandpa scared the hell out of me when he was only 70 and he still drove until about 90 and we had to take the caddilac away cuz he was using it like a blind person uses a cane. :blush:

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Help me get the motor back in my Blazer and you can borrow it as long as you need it (within reason, you geek) but I get it on weekends.

OR, challenge the old guy to a cage fight for the car.

Seriously, if you help me get the motor in, you can use the Blazer for a while. I'll need it for the week of June 20th - 25th, and on weekends, but you can have it during the week. Lemme know.

I sent you a PM too.

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

PM'ed ya Bo.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i think the real question should be can he still safely drive? if he can id work with him on you keeping it till you get your wife a new vehicle. if he cant safely drive id just simply tell him that he was right to give it to you and not drive anymore because he is a danger to others on the road and himself

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Agreed! Everyones safety should come first.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Most importantly his!!! My Grandaddy was way hacked when he couldn't drive anymore. Course it took my uncle the better part of a month to find all the keys both Grandaddy and Grandmom had squirlled away in different spots.

10. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Thanks all for the input. He bought the car new in 1995 and put 18,000 miles on it in 10 years. For the last year he has had no insurance on the car. When the plates came due he refused to get the E-test done due to the price.
    So then he went to a parking lot STOLE a set of plate and pealed the year sticker off and put on his plates. He gets lost every time he goes out then complanes that his sight is bad and has these flashes of light and he cant see for about 2 hours at a time.

The wife and I talked we think its time for him not to drive any more. I would feel alot better knowing there is a less chance of him killling and or hurting someone if he was not on the road.

We are going to keep the car. I know to alot this may seem harsh but in the long run the wife and I think this in his best interest that he does not drive.

Bo

11. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Bo, I think you are doing the right thing by keeping the car. If you let him have it back, and he causes an accident, you are potentially liable as an accomplice because you had the car and gave it back to him knowing he has no business driving. Make every effort to accomodate him, take him where he needs to go, and treat him as one of your "children" when it comes to helping him out. After all, he probably wiped your butt a few times when you were young, and now he needs some help(even though he doesn't think so or want it). Good Luck!
    Jimbo

Edit: Ask yourself this question; Would you trust him to drive your children anywhere?

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I kinda have the same type of problem with my mom. Altho her car was sold and she got the money when she got too old to drive she still wants to drive and wants me to get her a small cheap little car to get around in. Problem is she cant see well and really cant afford the insurance. So I just have to say NO. Even if she does her best to make me feel guilty for not buying her a car.
    She is around the same age as your Dad. I could never let her behind the wheel again she would be a hazzard to other motorists.

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i think your making the right choise for his safety and others :D whenever he wants the car back just remind him about his conditions and tell him what if that happened when driving and he hurt himself or someone else.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's a hard one, but I also think you're doing the right thing. Maybe pay for his Eye test at the DMV so he can "See" his eye sight isn't good enough for him too get behind the wheel. Not only is there his safty too think about, but also the safty of everyone else.

15. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

just make sure to take the man some places that he needs to go even thoughh it is a pain. It will make all the difference to him. Take him places he don't need to go too. Anything to make him feel important and needed.