Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need your help with my ignition and pinging valves!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wsudu, May 6, 2001.

1. wsudu

wsudu Registered Member

I have an 83' with a 400 hei.....If I hook up the vaccuum advance, the valves ping all the time, but it starts, runs, idles great. Then I take it off and plug the carb inlet, and it stops pinging, but then it starts, runs, idles poor. Here's the deal...The timing is dead on.....If I get a curve kit, will that fix it? .....Please help me..thanks

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Are you hocking it too the right vachum port?Maybe the vachum advance pod is shot.They do go bad.I think you can get a adjustable one fron the aftermarket.Just a few spots too look.I think you could check the advance pod if you had access too a hand vachum pump.

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

When does it ping/knock? When you get on it? It could be a lean mixture problem. A lean mix can cause the dynamic (not cranking) compression to go to high for the fuel being used. Check for vacume leaks at ports, carb base, and primary throtle shaft(!). In my limited expirinace with early 80s s.b., they seam to have problems with knocking and pinging. Posibley due to a poor head and pison desighn.

Also, make sure you are pluged into the correct port on the carb. Very important!

What happend? Has it always been like this? New ride? Did you change something?

Twiztid