Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need your opinion **(updated)**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Dec 5, 2003.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Im looking at a 1977 Blazer. It has 82000 original miles, TH350, NP203 converted, and a 350. The body has no rust. I crawled up under it and looked and found some surface rust that would probably buff out. Very clean. The bad: The interior is rough. No back seat and the drivers door is hard to shut (probably bushings). The striker bolt has begun to slightly crack the metal around it. Also, there is a bead of RTV around the top, on the outside, obviously there was a leak. It has an original tach in the dash as well. He is asking 2500. What do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Re: I need your opinion

Take $2000 in cash and I bet he'll take it, sounds like a good start /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I gave $1,500.00 for my 76 K5. I bought it from the original owner with 84,000 miles on it. These are great trucks to start off with. You can build it the way you want without faving to fix f_ck ups from meny PO's if you're dealing with the original owner and hopefully he/she wasn't a complete idiot.

4. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

you can always go up, so offer low-say around 1750- and see what happens.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The guy who's selling it bought from an estate auction. The original owner died from a heart attack. The original owner kept meticulous maintenance records and everythings looks as though he did just that. The roof being sealed to the body has me a bit concerned. Is there a gasket or seal between the two and does anyone sell one?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes there is a seal between the topper and cab, you can get if from the dealer, LMC, chevyduty.

7. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i think let it pass. that's not a great deal by any means. you could find one in better shape. heck i bought my 84 w/ a rebuilt 350 and th400 w/ a 60 front and a 14 bolt rear w/ 4.56's and a detroit riding on 36's for cheaper than that! you can find a better deal than that truck.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The truck has all of it's scheduled maintenance recorded in the original manual in the glove box. The truck has absolutely zero rust or dents. It runs great and just purrs. I went back later and brought the wife and she gave me the green light. I have looked at several K5's around here and all had rust, and all were asking more. So, anyhow, I brought it home. Too bad my wife drove the K20 home, with the parking brake on the whole way - about 35 miles. The rear brakes were smoking when she got home. Now the brakes feel weak. I guess that means tomorrow I have to tear down the rear brakes and hope I can just adjust them back up. Atleast the wear indicators weren't squeeling! So I now officially own a blazer!

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So I know officially own a blazer!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. alaska k5

alaska k5 Registered Member

I paid 2100 for my 89 Jimmy...120k good interior and no rust.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The truck has all of it's scheduled maintenance recorded in the original manual in the glove box. The truck has absolutely zero rust or dents. It runs great and just purrs. I went back later and brought the wife and she gave me the green light. I have looked at several K5's around here and all had rust, and all were asking more. So, anyhow, I brought it home. Too bad my wife drove the K20 home, with the parking brake on the whole way - about 35 miles. The rear brakes were smoking when she got home. Now the brakes feel weak. I guess that means tomorrow I have to tear down the rear brakes and hope I can just adjust them back up. Atleast the wear indicators weren't squeeling! So I now officially own a blazer!

[/ QUOTE ] So did you talk him down on the price ??? What did you end up giving for it ?? How about posting some pics.

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The truck is so nice I gave him what he wanted. I did try offering less, but he had a couple of other guys coming to look the next day (one called while I was there). It would be gone if I didn't buy it.
    Well, I took the 14 BFF apart on the K20 and it had melted the drivers side wheel cylinder and lost brake fluid on that end. So after today it has all new brakes, axle seals, etc. It took all day and many trips as I didn't have the special socket and the hop was extremely slow turning the drums. I figure this was just prepping it for the blazer. I'll probably lift it and swap the K20 axles in in the next couple of months. My wife already has a buyer for the K20 - after I put 1/2 ton axles under it. Too bad the nice new aluminum wheels and new 31" tires will be going on the old truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif