Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I never start a thread here, but this is F'ing ridiculous!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5er4Life, Jan 27, 2006.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

First off I do not smoke, I dont like it and I think it is a terribly disgusting habit. However, I think that government already has enough business telling us what to do on a daily basis. Most of the time its for our own good, someone has to look over all the idiots in this country but c'mon now. And now this, not surprising it comes from california, I have to get out of this damn state! Its already freaking hard enough just to get a smog cert here, now you will probably have to get a "smoking permit" after a few years. And guess what, california's great at "leading" clean air and other laws so soon other states will follow. Whats next theyre gonna start hooking up sniffers to my ass so they can measure my daily methane gas expulsion and adjust my diet accordingly? I am not anti-government (I am trying to get into law enforcement, and I love this country) but sometimes I feel as though its another law/regulation/statute that government is putting in place that is trying to dictate our lives. And I find many of the time in politics laws are motivated by monies. Its the man, hes trying to get us all! lol, but seriously sometimes things are getting out of hand. Whats yall think of this? Just my simple own thoughts. I do appreciate what they are trying to do, but I feel like a little bit of freedom is taken away everyday when stuff like this happens. I also realize that as of right now this really doesnt mean much, but it can lead into another law.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11048609/

2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Well K5er, you can get the baseball bat ready to use on me, but this is one thing California has done that I ACTUALLY agree with, and wonder why they didn't do it sooner. I've been around somebody who smoked for a long time (mom) and she finally quit, but I've breathed enough secondhand smoke to know it's just about as bad as diesel exhaust and other bad fumes I've smelled. Guess it goes to show how much I dislike smoking and never will start.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I like the smell of Diesel exhaust, good thing cause the DMax makes plenty ;).

I dont smoke though, nor do I think people should be regulated on this subject.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Govt should butt the **** out. If someone wants to be self destructive, let them. I know it has the potential to harm other people but if smoke bothers you that much get the **** away from it. I mean goddam I'm sure smokers take up like 10% of the space on the planet but that still leaves 90% of the rest of it for all the pansies to go.

I dont smoke cigarettes, but I do light up a cigar from time to time. Hearing people piss and moan about anything like this (smoking, not whatever that article is about) chaps my ass.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Nor should they be entitled to any government assistance later in life when their body realizes the harmful effects of smoking. The government should just stay out of their lives then too, and just let them die.

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

My step mom smokes all the time. And when she does I leave. I dont like it and in fact it makes my nose real dry and plugged up. I just dont think its the governments place for this. Besides that fact theyre not doing it because of second hand smoke, comifornia already has the restraraunts banned (which I really like because I dont want ash with my food) bars, ehh dont care much because I am usually drunk in there anyways and if I dont like it I still would go away. Nor can they smoke on piers, parks, near office buildings or the beach so its not like you would have to worry about second hand smoke at all if your in public. I gurantee somewhere down the line there is a politician with a little heavier pockets right now.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Oh yah that too.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Do as thou will...

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've never touched a cig, never will...but I have a lot of friends that do smoke....and as a friend, I don't con them into being a non-smoker. They can do what the hell they want, and the govt. has NO business telling them that they can or can't smoke. I just found a website in Boulder who's motto is "Defending your right to breath smoke-free air"...I just suggested they change it to "Defending your right to breath smoke-free air...by crushing other people's rights" As a patriot with 1776 in your sn, you should know that telling somebody they can't do something like smoke is NOT right...and just because you don't do it...does not mean they can't do it. This paves the way to banning smoking TOTALLY. Not at home, not in the car, not on your 250 acre ranch because it is a POLLUTANT....maybe you didn't grasp this isn't a simple smoking ban...they will go into your own HOME with this one.:mad: :mad: :mad:

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Their not saying the can't smoke, just not able to breath out the smoke that they inhaled. Invention. portable hepafilter to exhale into S.M.O.G. approved

Smokers
    Must
    Obey
    Government

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

RJ, you're blowing my dislike of anime out of proportion.

i dont dislike the anime itself, only the people who let it consume them to the point that they talk about it like its reality, and even join message boards involving it.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It would be prudent to look at the larger picture before assuming this is something intended to limit smokers rights.

These people can't, and sure as hell shouldn't have to, get up and go somewhere else when someone's smoking. I know for myself, when a certain nasty grumpy old man used to smoke in an office near mine, my office smelled like he was blowing the smoke right into it. No where for me to go unless I wanted to work late to go home to see my kids later so he could enjoy his cigarette while I put my work off or lose 45 minutes of work while my office aired out, or a whole day depending on how much he smoked. Working through the nasty skanky smell of someone else's secondhand smoke, and it making your equipment smell and cooling fans gunk up is far from pleasant, and I think it's asking quite a bit more of me to try and rearrange life rather than just requiring him to go outside to smoke.

That doesn't sound like anyone intending to infringe on anyone else's rights. Heck, if anything, it's going to cost someone some cash to make sure the smokers keep their right, when they could just as easily outlaw indoor smoking.

In New York City, the mayor made it illegal to smoke in bars a few years ago. For the first few weeks there were protests, people on the news (which is incendiary itself, by the way), everyone was complaining about it. Then when Jersey started considering a similar law, some news channels interviewed some New York bar crowds and bar employees that have been experiencing the ban for a few years...and everybody loves it, even the smokers. Everyone says the bars smell better, the bartenders feel better, blah blah blah.

I, for one, view smoking as an intrusive habit, unlike NOT smoking. Smoking is an intentional action that will affect surrounding people, whether it's just that they smell it and don't care, or that they smell it and don't like it.
    If you decide you want to smoke, sure you have the right, but you don't have the right to intrude on others and invade their airspace with something you know they may not want when you smoke. I smoked for ten years, and I never smoked around someone if I didn't know how they'd handle it. I'd go smoke somewhere else, or just wait.
    That's my attitude towards it. When it's intrusive and affects other people like that, I hesitate to say it's a "right" that can't be "regulated".

Think of it like an airhorn. If someone (didn't need to, but did anyway) stood next to you and blasted an airhorn continuously while you sat there trying to do your work, or were in line for concert tickets, or maybe standing at the bar, do you think you should leave, or that person should stop blowing their freakin horn? What about the car alarm at your neighbros at 3am? Should he go turn it off, or should you just mind your own business and let him have his alarm (or party, loud stereo, etc)?

On another interesting note...I wonder if anyone reads things like this and thinks there's actually a chance they can get marijuana legalized...

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

This is an issue I'm undecided on. I don't smoke, never will, and I don't like people smoking around me. Sometimes I'll get up and go away, sometimes I'll deal with it. I don't expect people to put their dic- sorry, cigar/cigarette out. Smoking and non-smoking sections are good enough for me. I'll hang out with my friends when they smoke, if it bothers me, I stand out of the way, and they also show respect for me, doing their best to keep the smoke out of my area.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's understandable. One of my best friends, a guy I have lunch with almost every day, smokes at least 3 or 4 cigarettes while we stand outside and BS after lunch. They don't bother me out in the breeze, and if they do, I move around to get out of the wind.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Same here,Washingtons new law is soooperstooopid.

17. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Yeah, in Washington, smoking is illegal in public places (bars, restaraunts, bowling alleys, even private clubs).

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think that'll be the way around it though, the private club thing, dumbest thing I ever heard of, can't smoke in a bar...

19. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I know they tried the private club thing here in town, and it didn't fly. No smoking, paying member or not.

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Have to be a private club for a year, theres ways around it, they're just not very condusive to the smoking populace...