Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I never thought I'd do this. Fender triming time...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Jun 27, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I never thought I\'d do this. Fender triming time...

Ok guys, I need seriouse advice hear. I have to cut my fenders. I have a 4 inch lift and 35s and i thought it would only rub offroad much to my surprise the first time i pulled in to the driveway after having my 35s installed, they rubed. No big thing I'll rim the fenders although I never thought it would come this far. These trucks really are addicting. i need all the advie I can gt. I have never used a saws-all. And my fenders are oretty and dent free. However, I'm not intimidated by this project. I have the saws-all and i have the fine toothed blade for cutting metal. I know to use duct tape to make my line etc. But i am wondering about a few things. One is do you have a to use a cut off wheel for the outer fender, or can you use a saws-all for the whole project? Two I am only planning to cut the fender lip off, I'm not going back into the body anyfarther than that. Will that still make it so my fender flaps freely, and if you, what is the best way to reatatch the fender other than welding? Like a screw or a bolt, and where is the best place to put it. Also, ny other bit of advice is greatly apreciated. PLEASE HELP ME... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    Ike

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: I never thought I\'d do this. Fender triming time...

The most important TOOL in any mod job is BEER... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif There are quite a bit of pics in the members rides section, someone will come along shortly though with pics they all love to brag LOL..... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok, personally i think it's a good idea to use a cutoff wheel on the outer fender, that's what i did. i think just taking off the lip won't be enough, you'll have to remove more than that if you rub going into your driveway. (trust me, my 4" and 36"s did that) and about the fender flapping around, they don't do that. mine don't anyway. i never welded enything. check out my webshots or members page for a play-by-play of what i did.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Here come the pics now LOL..... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

A cutoff wheel works really good for trimming the fenders. I just started trimming mine, already have the back done, just need to do the front. I used a 4 1/2 in. cutoff wheel and it was alot easier than I expected. Be sure to put something on the cut when youre done so it dosn't rust.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

you cut the back??? how, pics???

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I cut them like on the UAV. Took the rear bumper off and marked 2 inches below the trim across from the back of the rear wheel well to the back of the truck. I wont have pics up until another week or so. I don't have a digital cam so I have to ait till I get the front cut and then take the roll in to get put on a floppy.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I cut my rear fender wells too...

[​IMG]

Rene...might cut a bit more yet /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've used a saws-all & a cut off wheel. I like the cut off wheel in a die grinder the best. If you leave the outter fender about 1/2" to 1" oversized you can hammer a lip back into it so it touhces the inner. That should be enough toprevent flapping, if not just add some stainless steel sheet metal screws & washers.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Have you determined where the tires are rubbing? It's most likely at the front edge of the fender, where it turns under the truck. If it is just there, and you don't plan any wild flexing, you can do a "hidden" trim by just making a 45 degree cut on the part that's tucked under the front edge of the fender. That will usually give most people enough clearance for 35's with a 4-inch lift and you don't have to hack up those pretty fenders. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yup i agree, if you're mostly a street driver you can do it real quickly and you cant even tell from a glance you've cut anything...
    when i installed my 35*15s with a 4 inch lift, i didnt even make it out of the parking lot before they rubbed...
    i took an angle grinder with a sanding disc and just shaved away the part that curves under the truck....
    just dont let it get too hot, it'll burn your paint up...
    if my truck were running i'd drive up and show you, my bro lives in hagerstown...

12. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

Agreed. If you are mostly on pavement, you can get away with just trimming the fronts of the front fender. I did the back of the front fenders also just to make it look more proportional. Good luck.

13. 86blazerk5

Hey guys, i appreciate all the good advice so far. I am planning to do thuis tomorrow afternoon so there is still time for anyone to add there two cents. I would be out doing it right now if it werent that the sun is almost gone. Unfortunantly, i have no garage. Loudnowluuder, thats awsome, we should get togeather sometime. There arent a lot of Ck5ers in this area but there are acouple and i have yet to meet one yet. The reason I asked about the cut off wheel is becuase i dont have one. I have a couple Saws-Alls. My dad was a carpenter, not a mechanic. Can i still do a quality job with just a swas-all, or is it imperitive that i borrow someones cut off wheel. I wanted to do this soon. But i do know some peopel with cut off wheels I could wait until I get ahold of one of them. I dont intend to cut much off my fenders, i am going to make it barley noticable, but I am going to take off a lilttle more than just a 45 degree angle, becuase while i dont wheel much, I do ocasionaly and i dont want any trouble the next time I do. I intend to take off the to 1 and a 1/2 inch fender lip that is on the fender underhang, while angleing back out so that where the fender goes up the body more its still factory. Then i'll bend the crome fender trim so it looks stock unless you get real close.Thats all I'm goin to trim, although I may need to do the same thing up front after i go offroading and see how it works. Keep it coming boys, i am going to go serching through the members rides for pics. Thanks.
    Ike

14. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have good explanitory close up pics of the back being trimmed???

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Are you talking about the rear 1/4 pnl? If so do you need a little more room or a lot? I've got an example of each, let me know if you need a pic to understand.
    If you just need a little take a Cressant wrench and just keep folding the metal back over onto its self. I went to the support rod. Then take a sledge to it to form a new lip and remove any sharp edges.
    If you need a lot; cut the rear part even w/ the drop line below the tail light and the front section even w/ the floor. Then add an intergrated nerf/rocker pnl for support. At the top, the inner and outter are close enough to be welded back together for about the first 3" up. Decide where you need to be and cut away.

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmm Bet with a 1 inch ORD body lift and 1 inch Zero rates you could clear those 35's with very minimal cutting on the inside lip . /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Offset the front axle forward 1 inch /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    I'm only cut back to the inner fender and I can go scurb free with the sway bar on on trail. 35 inch BFG on a 10 inch wide rim with 4 inch offset. Total suspension is 5 inches in the front with zero's and 6 inches in the rear with zero rates.

17. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

18. 86blazerk5

Wow, Thanks Scapper, Those were som great pics. Of course I wont be cutting that much but exelent for seeing what i'm getting into. Thanks. Well, Guys, I'm off to get my hands dirty with this project. I'll let you know how it goes in a few hours. Thanks everyone.
    Ike

19. 86blazerk5

Well Boys, I joined the CK5 elite today. I not what everyone has to face at some point when sticking on biger tires with minimal lift. I got out a Saws-All, and got off some sheet metal. Ok. I know, not much, but hopefully just enough. I did the backs of the front fenders today. Then sprayed it with ruber undercoating. I took off a little over an inch at the fartheset point in, and then agled it back to where the fender truns up the side of the truck. It looks great and i ganed a decent amount of clearence. I'm not so sure it will be enough for when i off road though. So there may be more triming in my future. I also may need to trim the front of my front fenders eventually. Angain, only for offroading. I think they will be fine on pavement. Anyway, I am pleased with the results. I used the saws-all for most of the work, and a paor of tin snips and a file to clean it up a bit. I can see where a cut off wheel would be way easier. thanks for the advice and pictures.
    Ike

20. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Have no fear. I used a Sawzall for the whole job. And a Sharpie to mark the cut. I cut a lot more than you plan to and it came out great, if I must say so myself. (And I must since I have pics posted yet)

If you are not sure how much to cut and don't want to over do it, do it in steps. Cut, flex the suspension (carefully) and reapeat as needed.

Lift, who needs lift, I've got a Sawzall. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif