Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I never want to drive again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Nov 11, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I am 16. Got in an accident last night. It was raining. Car in front of me came to a dead stop all of a sudden, I hit the brakes and went sliding into the back of it at 55mph or so. Another car immediatly hit me. I was able to pull off to the side then. The car I hit had smoke coming from the inside, and no one was getting out. Finally a small kid and his mother climbed out the window. The reason the first person stopped is they ran into a car that cut them off. This person drove off, but returned 30 minutes later in a different car with no insurance or registration. Everyone was ok, but my back hurts a little. K5 needs 2 new bumpers, a new fender, new headlights, new parking lights, new grille, random brackets and such in the front area, and possible new paint because the window of the car I hit shaddered and came flying back. The car I struck was destroyed beyond repair. The car that hit me was also destroyed beyond repair. Not fun.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

2. Sorry about the accident, Brian. I work as a claims adjuster for a large insurance company and see accidents like this ALL OF THE TIME. I have also been in an accident before, so I know how you feel. You have to remember the most important part, though. At least everyone walked out alive. I highly recommend that you start driving again AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Don't dwell on it and keep yourself from driving because then you'll really be scared the next time you drive. Unfortunately, as drivers we are always at risk to be in an accident. Remember to keep your head up. Sheetmetal can always be replaced, lives can't.

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

yeah, accidents are a *itch. i have been in a few. this is the risk we take for the most dangerous mode of transportation. dont worry about it, these things happen. just get back in and keep rolling. glad to hear that no one was hurt. sometimes we just have to be REAL careful.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sorry to here about what happened but don't let it get to you everyone was ok and that is what maters accidents happen and that sounds like that is what this was an ACCIDENT. so just remember @#*% happens and chalk it up to experience. glad everyone was ok

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Back when I was 18 (I´m 27 now) I drove into a 6 feet ditch at a pretty high speed. It was raining, I was on a gravel road and was feeling like some racing champ, like 18 y/o boys, fresh out from drivers school often do[​IMG]. Worst of all it was a friends car (Volvo). Well, neither me or my friend hurt ourselfes, but the car was a wreck. Beyond repair as the frame/chassi were bent. Now when Im writing this I can´t believe I didn´t hurt myself[​IMG]. Anyway, the good thing out of this "experience" is I drive careful nowdays. Not creeping around at 20 mph and blocking traffic, just careful. Like keeping distance to the car in front and not going any faster than I can´t control the car to 100%. I imagine you´ll do that too, which only is a good thing.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about it, EVERYONE has an accident when they first start driving, it makes you a better driver in the long run. It's good no one was hurt and it wasn't your fault. I saw my best friend get killed in a VERY violent car wreck 5 days before our high school graduation, that messed me up for a long time. I was just learning how to drive then and it made me not want to get my license for almost a year. I went to the emergency room and my car when to the scrap yard after my first accident. I spun on some black ice doing about 50 mph and a really big tree jumped in my way. I was out for about 30 minutes after my head went through the side window and my rear bumper was under my back seat, which was under my seat. I never wanted to drive again after that accident, especially in the snow and ice. I learned a lot from those experiences. My accident was 5 years ago and I haven't had an accident since, except for being rear ended at stoplights twice, but those were just little fender benders (the other cars, not mine [​IMG]). Like I said before, don't let it get to you. Walk it off and get back in the drivers seat as soon as you can.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well that first one is always scary. The fact that your concerned is good. My first wreck was due to hydroplaying and ended up sailing the car into a deep ditch and just about went sideways into a telephone pole with 3 of my friends in the car.
    Now some thing I want to point out to you. NEVER admit fault in an accident to the cops or the other people in the accident. This accident was really not your fault as to what orginaly caused it to happen it sounds like. Now usualy the last car in line picks up the tab. The guy that left should have been arrested on the spot when the cops showed up. Leaving the scene of an accident is a felony in most states. Because he left the accident site and there was clearly damage to the front of the car you hit if he has insurance it should go on his ( the person that left). There is however a following too close issue here. It is possible that you got that ticket as did the person the hit you. The fact of the matter is you were too close for conditions. If you had been maintaining the 2 car lenghts per 10 mph rule you would not have hit the car if you had been paying attention. It takes far more distance to stop a 5500lb K5 than it does to stop the average car. You really need to keep that in mind as your out an about. Be thankfull that nobody was seriously hurt and learn something from the wreck. Hopefully this will be your only wreck.
    Glad to hear your ok.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My first wreck was really little. This lady in an Accord was turning right into an alley but she had her left blinker on. When she swung out to the left, i thought she was just pulling over to the side, so I started to pass her and she came back around and hit me. It was raining and I was in my mom's minivan. I hit the brakes right before we hit, but the @#$%^&* ABS jst pulsed and didn't do anything. I smashed her passenger door pretty bad, but they still said it was my fault even though she had the wrong blinker on which she denied...

90K5

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I am feeling a little better now. I would like to add one thing: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT! It saved my ass.

Brian

10. klier

klier Registered Member

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey, remember, fear is NEVER boring! My youngest kid is 7. He races bmx bikes(we all do) He's already been hit by two cars. Neither were his fault, and both times he was on a bike the next day. Granted he's 7 and a little more resilient but.......... Drive and drive like hell!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the accident man. Everyone I think has gotten into one. I have the luckyness of saying I have been in 4 of em. First one was me driving my mothers car in the snow and took that corner a bit too fast (high skool and showing off) and took out a vans butt. Grille damage. Second one was worse. I was driving my mothers car (same car) and it started to rain. I was going through a contruction zone and this lady who had just driven it off the lot(Ford Tarus) was stopping in the middle of the road...it was a stick shift...she never touched her brakes and I tried stopping...Didn't happen. I took the a$$ off that Ford out. The front of the Buick Park Avenue that I was driving was worse. The hood was bent up, coolant all over A/C blowing out, I thought I was a gonner. I couldn't get back to my hometown becasue the coppers wouldn't take me there. I had to go someplace in the town..the only place...to my mother. Lets say she wasn't a happy camper. The car was repaired and didn't drive that car for a year...my mom forced me to drive it and not only that I had to drive it though the SAME intersection where I knocked the Ford off AND in the same conditions. Third accident wasn't mine (thank God). Driving over a bridge in the middle of town and some big truck stopped. A Mercades in front of me stopped and I of course stopped too cuz I don't want to mess with fixing a Beamer. A lady was turning the corner and she had her head stuck in a cell phone. Any guesses? She hit my butt hard. I thought my S10 was a gonner...hehehe...Chevy...Like a Rock. All she did was dent my bumper. The Cavalier she was driving..well...I didn't know they put the engines in the trunk on those?!?! Fourth one was much simpler. S10 parked in a parking lot. Young girl in a hurry to get to class driving her mothers Caddy. She drove too fast and cut it too wide. Hit the same bumper again. She tried to cover it up but she didn't know I was standing less than 10 feet away!! She tried to doctor my truck up...hehehe..boy was she messed up when I popped out!!!

Don't stop driving. Everyone came out alive...don't worry about sheetmetal. It will fix...dead people can't be. And since you got read ended as well you get some money to have your butt replaced and can be used to cover your high insurance and maybe fix some parts on your K5. Goto junk yards, BUILD it!! You will learn so much doing it yourself.

Hope this keeps you on the road!! And if your K5 is really messed up and still going down the road..write "Like a Rock" on the sides so people know that Chevy keeps going!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

13. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Nice job Grim. For the young man who had the collision, don't let it get you down. Just learn from mistakes (yours and other drivers').

In the Safety business, our guide for preventing these types of collisions (rear-ending the vehicle ahead are 25% of all accidents nationally) are two fold.

1. The 2 second rule becomes the 3 second rule when driving a heavier vehicle (truck). For each 10 MPH over 50MPH, add 1 second. So if going 60 in my truck, it's 4 seconds following distance for the vehicle ahead. After the vehicle ahead passes a shadow or sign by the road, count 1,001, 1,002, 1,003. If you get to that shadow, sign, or other landmark before you're done counting, you're too close-back off. Again, if your over 50, you know you're counting off 4 seconds up to 60, 5 seconds at 70 etc...

2. Be far-sighted when driving. Keep an eye on what's going on up ahead so we can anticipate the bone-headed moves of other drivers. On the highway, be watching 1/2 mile or more ahead, make lane changes etc. in anticipation of problems and you'll get there before the idiot who's not paying attention to upcoming impediments/problems. In city traffic, look 1/2 block or more ahead, again anticipating that some bone-head will @#$% up.

Happy Motoring To All !
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I got the estimate for the repairs today. $3500 for everything, that includes body work, transfer case, tie rod, and straightening the frame. Should take 2-3 weeks.

Brian

15. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

At least they didn't total it. What is the person that hit you in the butt have to pay? Make sure you get on them and keep on them or else you won't get anything. They should have to pay for the work and parts to your rear.
    Laters

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

16. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Uh...I got hit by a ford tempo...theres no damage in the rear.

Brian