Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I own a BMW! **PICS**

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Sep 23, 2006.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm looking at buying one. $3500, 1985 325E, 2.7 I6, two door, 5 speed. Looks gorgeous. My friend's dad is selling it, but he's not sure he wants to give it up. Anybody ever owned a BMW? My uncle has had a couple newer ones, and they've been pretty sweet.

I want it, but I figured I'd ask the advice of CK5 before I make any life decisions. :D

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Insurance is only $100 a month from Esurance. That's a plus.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Sounds a little high price wise... ebay has 3 of them and the highest is $1500.00

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

What's the mileage? That depends a lot.

I've actually owned 2 of that body style (E30). One of which was AWD.

If you get it you'll love that little M20 Engine at about 3,500-4,000+ rpm. That's when it hits it's torque curve and really kicks ya in the pants!

It's fun.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I don't know many details on it, just that it has a great service record. Used to be my roommate's ex-boyfriends, and he treated it like god. Going to look at it again in the am with my step-dad. I glanced at it this morning, then started thinking about it more throughout the day when I was out car shopping.

6. OrangeCrushK10

if it's under, say, 100,000 miles and runs perfect, then go for it, but try and talk down the price a little.

Unless it has some decent mods.

But $3,500 is a little high.

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

It's stock, but the exterior is perfect.

8. OrangeCrushK10

really depends on the mileage then.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an E46. Great cars, very eas to work on and very reliable. If you want to read about them go to www.bimmerfest.com

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

cbbr- You just earned a referral over there!

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

oopps..nevermind!..

I thought he meant a "BMW" = Bloody Murder Weapon.:eek1:

I've never owned a "Beemer",but the guy who runs a used car lot with a friend has had several,both his own personal cars,his wifes,or ones he's bought and sold at the lot..mostly later models..two of them had overheating problems,probably due to leaky head gaskets, or cracked heads..one he "fixed" by using Moroso ceramic block sealer..the other one someone bought for parts..but they hold their resale value pretty well,people do like them,and they sell quickly..

I guess they are decent cars,well built,etc..but parts are costly,and not easy or quick to find sometimes..lots of them around here,dope dealers and yuppies love them..:crazy:

12. cbbr

Actually, a "beemer" is a motorcycle. A "Bimmer" is a car. Go figure.

The parts are not expensive at all for the normal maintence stuff and there is a "german car" bone yard here in BR. For instance, I am about to replace all 4 brakes - pads, rotors and sensors - which will cost about $300 for new parts and take about an hour.

The thing is expensive is the dealership. They will kill you and most people that own BMW's just pay for it.

My experiance is that it is a fast, comfotable and reliable car. It also has a saftey rating scond to none. And I drive it like I rented it.

13. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

its a bimmer if the PO babied it and has all the service records thats great, the car should hold up..but it is a bimmer so if anythin breaks parts may get a little costly.. if its around 100k miles i would say try to lower price a bit and youve got yourself a great deal

14. cbbr

I find the cost of repair to be a false assumption in most cases. I bought mine at the suggestion of a friend that has had several and races. The dealership, like I said, is expensive. But places like www.bavauto.com have everything you need for a lot less. There is a lot of aftermarket support and a strong community of owners that are willing to help (sound familiar?)

It is also a much easier car to work on than the many Hondas that I have had. Mine hs almost 100,000 on it and I plan on driving it at least another year and 40,000.

Most of the service problems on the newer ones have come from the "lifetime" fluids (tranny, diff, etc) that BMW "developed" when it am up with the "free maintence program"...

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I drove an '80 320I for a couple years out of high school. I bagged the custered out of it and it retired with 410,000 kms on the odo. engine ran great still never overhauled. but the rear suspension gave in to the rust during a "road rally" incident :crazy:

My pops drove it for 15 years before he gave it to me. really was a great car.

16. OrangeCrushK10

Ditto. If you need parts go online to BavAuto.com or many of the other parts dealers. NEVER go to the dealer or ANY LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE. They will rip you off like no other. Remeber, a BMW is not some one of a kind magical car that needs one off parts. They're basically like a german Chevy. They used the same parts on many different models and years, etc.

And I agree with CBBR. I could guarantee you I could fix a BMW for much less than a Honda - And they're a dream to work on... most of the time... The E30 does not have the most accessible air filter box.

But really, they are higher maintenance, but the parts aren't bad. Also they are extremely reliable and safe as long as you do the normal maintenance.

Things to look for -

*The M20 engine in that car was the only BMW to have a timing belt instead of a chain. Make sure they know EXACTLY when it was changed. This is not a non-interference engine and will do horrible damage if that belt breaks.

*Look at the water pump and (I think) the tanks on the radiator. These are weak spots since they are made of plastic for weight reduction purposes. Watch for leaks, but replacements are cheap and easy to find.

You'll like thye E30 for it's modification abilities. It's probably one of the most modded out BMW's and can be quite the beast on the autocross course if tuned correctly.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have been looking into purchasing a car JUST like that for the past few years. they are a TON of fun. prts can get expensive, but the slant 6 is a good motor. i want to gut one and make ait a track car. yo sould be able to pick a VERY nice one up for that price. i have seen them go from 1800 to 4k

just depends on miles and condition.
    Grant

18. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Test drove it this morning. 108k on the odometer, and everything works except for a back running light. Goddamn, I think I'm in love. It's spotless. There's a little wear on the seat, but they've been regularly conditioned, paint and body are great, and the interior and trunk are spotless. The engine compartment has some dust in it, but no fluid stains. Little dash vibration, but I looked that up, and I guess there's a common mount failure that takes aboot 5 minutes to replace. Didn't pull to either side on the highway, accelerated well, stopped on a dime.

We talked this morning, and I told him I'd think aboot it. 30 minutes later I get a call.
    Him: "I'm sorry I was kind of short this morning. I talked to Dawn (wife), and we decided that since you've been a friend of the family for a long time, and I know you'll take really good care of the car, that that's more important that the price. I'm going to make you a counter offer from $3500 to $3250."

I'm on that like Oprah on a cupcake. Still going to head up to the Olympia Auto Mall today to poke around, but I think I've already decided.

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Check your Kelley Blue Book, mine is a year old but Whole Sale is $1400 Sug. Ret $2750

20. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Laid down $500 on it this morning. Should have it at the end of the week when the rest of my check clears.

Stoked.