Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I prefer CK5 over Pirate because...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gzzgfw, Jun 3, 2005.

1. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

I've been scanning Pirate for several months now, reading the forums and such. Yeah, there is a lot of stuff there but the environment just isn't friendly. F this F that, get to the point and get off. To many know it all's. Share you information and be done with it, no need to argue about it. I'm I all wet or do you guys agree?

Good job who ever keeps this site going!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2005
  2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i havent spent much time there, but i know i dont like the dark background. maybe thats something that can be changed in the computer, i dont know, but i still dont like it. the site is allright as far as tech stuff though.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, thats the way its always been.

Consider Pirate and CK5 like Star Wars: CK5 is the Jedi and Pirate is the Sith. Do you want to be a part of the force or the dark side? :cool1:

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've found their technical articles to be invaluable. But, I don't spend much time in the forums. They aren't all that friendly, the testosterone flows pretty heavy, and the immaturity level is way up. However, some folks prefer that environment so to each his own. I also dislike the black colors and find it distracting. It is a very different style of a site and each has its pro's and con's.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pirate is useful for three things: tech articles, vendors and free give aways. Thats pretty much all I do over there. WAY to many know it alls, elitists, "my-rig-is-better-than-yours" guys and "you're an idiot for even asking that question" types. Its really pretty sad... cause there are some cool people over there and lots of knowledge... but the atmosphere is poisoned by a bunch of clowns who really should be perma-banned.

j

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You know, I know alot of you guys (at least on the board) and some of you for quite a while. What I don't understand is why this makes you any better to bash another website?

Personally, post's like this have no place. CK5 has always tried to hold itself up to a better standard than other sites, and when you start bashing other sites, you degrade the integrity of this one... :( :(

7. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree..... another point is this has no place in the garage

8. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree, pirate has some great info, but some of the people have an attitude problem. Its not all of the people on pirate, just some of them. But its the one bad apple that everbody remembers and then the hole group gets a bad name because of the one person.
    Agreed this needs to be moved to a nother section.

later
    jmd

9. jekbrown

The truth doesn't "degrade" anything about ck5. Any time the truth is wrong and ignoring it or flat out lying about it is "right", look out.

j

10. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

your right, i do have to agree. i just replied to the post, wasnt tryin to bash anyone. sorry if it was taken as such. :o

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

When was the last time you saw Steve degrade Pirate? Or offroad.com? Or me, running my own site with my own forums, degrade another site? What we talk about sitting in the shop isn't always right to bring into a public forum. When you post in the CK5 forums, you are posting as a MEMBER of CK5. From this, you should treat this site like your's, or better yet, treat it like Steve's and not bring this into HIS site.

Posting the truth is one thing. Posting the truth such that it degrades someone or something else is another. Think about it. I'm not all touchy feely be nice to the next guy all the time. I can bitch, moan, and argue with the best of them, but there is a time and place for everything. It is OUR responsiblity to hold CK5 up to a higher standard. These threads do NOT do that...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this HAS been brought up that this WILL NOT be tollerated.

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I see no problem with your reply, you simply stated that the background is hard to read (yea, you can change that BTW ;) ) There have been a couple of threads in Chit Chat over there explaining the steps :D

What I was refereing to was where these threads ALWAYS go, and that's straight down the crapper...

KP

13. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Down Boy! I ain't bashing any web site! I just stated my opinion that I prefer CK5 for getting tech and experiencing my hobby over the cursing, pumped up style of posts over on Pirate and CK5 is where my money goes. Take it easy and Thanks for your opinion. Kyle, I even changed my title, it did seem alittle attacking.

All I did was post a opinion to see if there were like minded guys out there the same as me. I've read posts from spraypainting to engines to axles to T & A, from girls falling on rocks to lawnmower off roading. Nothing is wrong with asking other of their opinions so don't make me feel like I did something wrong.
    -Mark

14. jekbrown

I think the problem we are having here is confusion with respect to use of the word "degrade". The posts in this thread with opinions on the atmosphere over on pirate are accurate, in short, they are the truth. Its not 'degrading' at all, just a statement of fact based on experience. If someone put up a post and said "the sky is blue", is it a knock against the sky? No, its just a fact.

I have, and I don't see anything wrong with it, nor do I see it negatively reflecting on steve and/or CK5. I do agree the post is in the wrong forum... oughta be in the lounge. Other than that I don't, personally, have a problem with the thread. If Steve and/or admins do, I'm sure we'll hear about it or the thread will be locked. I'd have no problem with either outcome, it's their site.

Its debatable whether or not the thread belongs in a given forum, or on any of them... but in general, I can't think of a 'higher standard' than the truth. If anything, it should be celebrated/lauded, not locked in a closet.

got me there, I know por has come up before but I don't remember steve/admins having issues with it being brought up. My memory is fading with age though. Anyway, one of the good things about ck5 is that we can all disagree and at the same time all get along. That is definitely something missing on some other web forums...

j

15. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is good I never theought about it like that. :rotfl: :grin:

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The only thing i dont like about Pirate is the missinformation and the BS. Theres a lot of it on there, its getting hard to even search for good info anymore. That and their tow rig forum. That forum drives me nuts, Im so glad Steve made Towrig.com.

Pirate definately has its place, and their vendor section is great. Ive scored some great deals from them over these past few weeks. The tech is there, but it takes a lot of searching and sifting through the BS to find, unfortunately. It has gotten to big, now everybody on pirate thinks they are hardcore, and repeat everything they have heard as though its fact, even if they have no experiance with it.

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Here's my point, and you hit it with your last phrase. If this post had been worded "CK5 is great" with content like I've been on *OTHER* forums and they weren't as good blah blah blah, then we're golden. See what I'm saying.

This is nothing more than a pissing match. Something that DOESN'T belong on CK5, even in the lounge. Alot of people don't like Pirate. I don't like ORC, but you don't see me logging and broadcasting how crappy it is. It's called tact, or, another way to say it, and in doing so, IMO is tacky.

You've been on the board a while bro, and I think you're missing a point. Speaking the truth is a good thing, really. Now, if someone posts a picture of their wife, and someone comments that she's fat (even if she is) it's in poor taste and tacky. You may be speaking the truth, but again, it's opinionated truth and frankly doesn't belong on the board. See what I'm saying?

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That would be the supreme commander and chief of staff Steve Fox :D

I retract all the hateful things I thought about thinking in my head about you bro :D nice post title change LOL :D

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And you are right, no matter the naysayers. And I do know that some of the negative opinions in this thread have been gained through in-depth, personal experience, right Corey? :D

20. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

I'm a die-hard chevy guy and I like the focus here on Chevys. I have no need to read anything that is unique to a Toyota so here I am. However, I do read the classifieds and the Chevy section from time to time.