Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I pulled out a jeep and a chevy tonight...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomford, Apr 19, 2007.

1. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So as some of you know, i work at a garage, and we do AAA towing. So around 10 we got a call for a jeep stuck "10 feet off the road", so we get in my managers 84 K-10 longbed on bald 31's BFG A/t's. we go down the road the jeep is stuck right off of and it's down the powerlines. Oh great. We walk in there, 30 feet then left down a 200ft rock hill then theres the mud at the bottom. I see from the top of the bumper up an 02 ext cab chevy 1500. Weird we here for a jeep, they say it's further out. like 700 feet of mud further out. Mind you it's been raining for the last week and a half, so we got mud. We hook up to the chevy, lock the 84 in 4wd and hammer down, well were pullin him almost all the way out and he turns the wheel and he's now burried and the 84's stuck too. Well we have the f-450 wrecker comming out. He gets there pulls the 84 out and trys for the new chevy. No go, he's burried and lifting the front end off the ground. So we hook the 84 back up and then the f450 up to that and get them out. Then the wrecker pulls up and Tony, in the 84 pulls the newer chevy out, then up the 200ft loose rock hill:haha: Score 1 for Solid axle chevys.

Now the fun part to get the jeep out...

Part 2 shortly, hands hurting from typing lol. Time so for 1.5hr

Please hold for pt 2

Tom

2. tomford

Part 2

Part 2

So we get the chevy to the top of the hill, out of the mud (the newer one) and we go after the jeep. First, theres the ruts the new chevy was stuck in and about a foot or two of mud(deep) for about 50-70ft. We get to the jeep, now it was a Grand Cherokee. Looks like he tried to turn around and drove off the trail. We hook up and pull him from behind, almost rollin him on to his roof:rolleyes: and get him to semi solid ground. Now theres no place to turn around so we have to back through the previously stated mud... Hammer time... The 84 plows through it in reverse and now it's the kid in the jeeps turn... only 1 thing he isnt good at backing straight up. So Tony gets in and floors it and dosen't let up till he's at the top of the hill... nice to be in someone eleses truck eh:p: . So we get them out and wehave previously stated it the price was going to be $400 for both trucks. Then they start complaing about it and saying theyll get it tomorrow. No go, we get another recker there and say the trucks are commin with us. One of them call's there father to bring a check. We say we'll let it go for 200 and one of them had $70 so $270. They say there father is comming but there acting all sketchy wispering stuff bout just running away, so we call the local PD to come make sure they pay up. The ploice come and rip the kid's a new one for being on private powerline property, take there info and there father shows up and writes a check. All is good and the kids leave. Score now SFA chevy 2. Now when we got there they said there was no way that old S***Box will pull them out ha were they wrong, althought we needed a little tug from the ford f450.

So thats how i spent the beginning of my 18 B-Day.

Im now a firm beliver of the SM-465... i gotta get me one in my truck

Heres a pic of after, the 84 chevy, sorry for the crapy pics, it's a camera phone...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed my story as much as i did watching it unfold

Tom

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. tomford

oh yea total time spent there was 3 hours

i had fun

Oh yea the kids were only 16-19

and they were trying to wheel a jeep:doah:

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Okay,

Where's the photochop with stacks? :haha:

Nice job Tom. Way to show 'em how it's done.

Manny

6. tomford

no stacks, everything thinks tony's 84 chevy was a beater, good for nothing, deff. won my respect, i had a grin from ear to ear when he put it in 4lo and in L and pulled the 02 backward up a 200ft loose rock hill, shooting baseball sizeed rocks at his tailgate:whistle:

it was a fun start to my B-day tho...

Tom

7. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I know how it is to have our trucks called a **** box and a piece.
    But I love it when they say its a piece then I ask for a wheel off and they are like no I already know who the winner would be:rolleyes:. Then like 2 days later they call me up to come get them out of a lil mud hole:haha: Thats when I pull them out and then drive thru it all in 2WD forward and reverse:D

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

:haha: I hate pompous punks, serves 'em right. You should have upped the price for every wise crack. I'm sure Daddy could have written a bigger check. :wink1:

9. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

great story. I also just returned from pulling someone out.

One of my friends called up about 11 p.m. and told me him and a couple people were stuck down in the river bottoms here where I live. So I drive out there in my old 3/4 shortbed on 31" mud terrains, its red, orange, green and white and beat up pretty bad. the guy I pulled out was in an 01 f*rd with 33" bfg all terrains. when I got there he was stuck in some mud that was about 5" deep but got it twisted up in the ruts and had a tire off the ground. he was open on both ends so he only had one tire that would spin. the first thing wrong with the picture was they went out with only one vehicle.

second I asked if he had a good strap when he called and he did so I didnt bother looking for one. got there and it was a 2" wide 5' strap with cuts all down it. the first thing that was said was "how the hell did that thing make it all the way out here?" I just kinda brushed that one off.

third problem, he has a fabtech light bar, uses 4 3/8s bolts to hold it to the stock bumper. he starts to hook it up and I ask if it will hold it. he replys with "sure this thing aint goin nowhere." he was hooking it up and it wasnt mine so I figured I would let him learn a lesson. next ill comment, "will this thing even pull us out?" that one kinda got to me but I had a big grin when I drug him out of ruts and up a muddy hill without one slip of the tires. and its a darn good thing he wasnt stuck very bad or he would have one messed up light bar.

10. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:haha: rofl thats great!

11. tomford

i love how the old "sh**y looking" chevys pull the new trucks out and then some, puts a smile on my face

Tom

12. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

These storys are great!!! Cant wait to get some of my own!
    Gotta love the badass know it all drivers..

13. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Cool story, And happy B-day.

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was putting a new front warn hub on my truck because I had blown one up the week before wheeling, when I got a call from a friend saying they had two trucks stuck.

I get there and the first truck was an 03 f*** expedition.....sunk to the frame rails in mud. There were two heep wranglers hooked up to it (both looked like 00-02's one with 33's and one with 35's) with no forward progress whatsoever. I hook up the K5 to the f*** and they give me this seatbelt looking towstrap. First pull and it broke. I pulled out my 30,000 lb strap and put it in 4lo and hammered down. Took about 12-15 tugs giving the 30 foot strap 20 feet of slack and pushing my foot straight down to the floor. Finally got the expedition out.

Next up was an 03 heep cherokee with some 31's on it and a small lift. They tried to drive through a large mudhole and got stuck right at the entrance. I hooked up to them and gave them one hard yank and they came right out. Their fornt bumper however didnt survive the pull and ripped completley off. They were out though.....and were thankful for it.

All this, and I was driving with open headers. It was loud as hell and those jeep guys draws were on the gorund. haha.
    -Harrison

15. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

whats worse than wheeling a jeep:confused: well my friend wheeling his nissan xterra:doah: . He kept bragging about how great it was offroad and how he followed his friends lifted jeep all day long. 10 minutes into wheeling he was sunk and stuck in a mud hole I had went through forward and reverse in 2wd. Guess who pulled him out, me and my crappy old chevy. There is no real world dispute about the superiorness of the old strait axel chevy vs. anything. Get them out in the mud and they shut up real quick about how crappy your old chevy is

16. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Great stories guys!

Haha, doesn't anyone give the stuck truck a MUD BATH anymore? In the hay day, we used to do that all the time. Strap up, take up the slack nice and easy until tension, and in 2wd floor it! MUD goes all over the stuck truck covering it with thick gooey MUD! :haha: Then you just put it in 4Hi and crawl right out with 'em. Man that's funny s**t right there.

Manny

17. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

young punks think they know it all huh? Way to go Tom. Pay up punks.[​IMG]

18. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I learned to quit talkin crap about whatever was going to help when I got pulled out by a crappy lookin Yota.

19. tomford

The kids we pulled out were true geniuses', leaving there door open and the 84 chevy "poped outta 4wd:whistle:, coating the interior and the outside in mud... thick black Mass mud

i got a laugh...

Tom

20. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

:haha: That makes it sooo much sweeter.