Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I put the ARB locker in this weekend :)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Just wanted to share my exitement and joy! :) I put the ARB locker in the front axle this weekend (D60) and did it all by myself [​IMG]. (Oh, and I upgraded the D60 with 35spline outers/hubs while I was there too). The ARB install was a lot easier than I anticipated. This is a definately D.I.Y install for the "average" DIYers. [​IMG]. Started Friday evening around 5pm and finished up last night at around 8pm or so. Total install hours was about ~17hours with some rest time in between (and time searching for tools I just put down!! [​IMG]). Just used the common tools to do the job...no exotic ones like a carrier spreader (although it would've probably made the job a lot easier if I had one). I'm thinking about making an article out on this and give to Steve if he's interested...I took a lot of pics. I know there is an article on the ORC board by Shawn (which I had printed out and used a reference[​IMG]), but this one will be on the "driveway" while the axle is still under the truck, etc. :). Anyhow, if anyone is thinking about this and have any Q's, let me know while this $hit is still fresh in my memory.
    Tools used:
    assortment of sockets, wrenches/ratchets
    dial caliper
    dial indicator and magnetic mount
    drill
    drill bit (7/16th)
    tap-1/4" NPT
    hub socket to remove lock nuts on D60
    torque wrench
    impact wrench (makes some jobs easier/faster)
    oven (for heating up the ring....[​IMG]
    press
    wire crimping tool
    crowbar (for removing the carrier, and ARB)
    brass punches
    2 jaw puller (3 would've been better) (to remove the bearings)
    die grinder (to hollow out the old bearings for easy removal while checking the backlash, before pressing on the new bearings)
    razor knife, for cutting the air hose)

Things recommend you get before you do this:
    New shim pack for the passenger side (the ARB kit comes with shims for the driver side) (I didn't get new shims (forgot), so I reused my old ones...they were still in good condition).
    All the lock tight stuff ARB recommends to get
    New bearing for the passenger side (you'll most likely destroy the old bearings if you remove it the way I did)
    grease
    3/8th fuel hose (about 7ft) (I put the ARB blue hose into the fuel hose to protect it from heat and stuff...I think this will work great for protecting the blue hose...you'll still need to watch where you're routing it though)
    zip ties
    You'll also need to fab up something for the switch mounts...I used wood and used a cut-out tool to cut out the rectangle hole for the switches)
    I think that's pretty much it....
    Boss
    ps, Oh yeah, Grim, Kieth, Dep, and all the other "Southern Boys"....Trail 9.....It's ON!!! [​IMG]

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Great! Yeah do a write up and submit it to Steve. I'm sure a tech write up on something of this magnitude will get posted.
    Yeah I'm thinking I may soon be ready for 9 once I get a winch. I'm not even going to try the rock garden without a winch after watching both Keith and Dep blow axles. I'll just drag through that to save the axle and then do the rock.
    Hopefully the Warn god will smile on me soon!

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

SWEET!!! I'm thinking if I can't nail down for sure axles I may go that route. I do have a question for ya though... just how in the heck can I afford the dang thing? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

Man talking about them 38's is giving me some way bad ideas [​IMG]!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh please do a write up boss. i'm hopeing the ARB god will shine on me for my 12bolt and 44.

try'n to keep the greasy side down

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You suck! I'm so jealous! lol!

<font color=red>Stupid people shouldn't tell other stupid people how not to be stupid</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Cool! I'llI start the write up sometime next week and submit it then. I hope you do get a winch Grim...So we all can run up that trail....I'll be heading down in Oct. again for the Dixie Run...won't be able to make it in May. The Rock Garden was seriously brutal....open in the front made it seriously tough and basically gave me no chance to get up it without the winch [​IMG]! Now with the locked front, should help out somewhat, but it's still a tough spot!! [​IMG]

Capt...keep saving!!! [​IMG]
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats[​IMG] yes please do a wright up as i might put one in the front of mine some day lol

wheeling pics

8. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Digging one up on the way back machine....

Nice job on the write up Boss /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just picked up a ARB for my d60 and this is going to come in very handy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Damn these things are expencive.....good thing I only paid $330 for it /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just picked up a ARB for my d60 and this is going to come in very handy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Damn these things are expencive.....good thing I only paid $330 for it /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

J/K. Great Score. Trade ya a spool for it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

J/K. Great Score. Trade ya a spool for it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to think about that trade for a while /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The ARB install was a lot easier than I anticipated. This is a definately D.I.Y install for the "average" DIYers. Total install hours was about ~17hours

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I dont want to sound like a jerk here but, I do not think this would be considerd an "average" install. They are not that easy. Did you set it up right? I have had to do them at work and absolutley hate them.

I see it took you a while though. When I did my first one it took something like 8 hours and when I did one in a 60 it took about 4 hours.

You didnt think it was a real PITA to install? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

It's been over 10 yrs since I put mine in, but I remember that it wasn't that difficult if you take your time. Routing the air tube inside the case, and getting the shims right had to be done over before it was right. All this time, and at least 100k miles later, I can say it was well worth the effort.

The only trouble I have had with the ARB was in my D60 rear 2 yrs ago. There are 4 socket head bolts holding the case together. One of these were found to be broken when I had the cover off for an oil change. I replaced all 4 bolts and loctite w/270.

I have had good luck with the gear set up, but since I didn't use a case spreader either, I have always thought I coulda had a touch more preload on the diff side bearings.
    Without a case spreader, adding a bit more shim makes it very difficult if not impossible to insert the carrier.

And, maybe if I had had more preload, the ARB case would not have been stressed enough in such a way to fatigue those case bolts. I abused it a lot over the years by pulling 10 000 lb trailer w/35s in low range 1st gear.