Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I quit my career!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, May 30, 2004.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yep, sure enough the fuel prices have sky rocketed so much that it's not worth driving a truck for a living anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I work harder right now then I did a year ago and I'm taking home about $1000 dollars less a week right now. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif So I figured it was time to hang it up and fall back on another line of work that I have previous experience with. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really thought I was going to stick it out, but it's got to the point that I'm not making the income that I've grown dependent on over the past 5/6 yrs. Solely due to the price of fuel. It's getting crazy out there.

P.S. Did I mention the price of fuel SUCKS!!!

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I think you are going to see a lot more of this from the independant guy. And if you did get paid more you would end up paying more for the things you haul

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Good luck with the new career! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for this:

[ QUOTE ]
    And if you did get paid more you would end up paying more for the things you haul

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most dangerous thing that the gov't is trying to have us all ignore right now. Truck drivers simply can't afford to haul stuff at a loss, so they will be forced to raise prices, which will increase the cost of the goods that they transport. That will create the dreaded inflation that the Fed is so paranoid about. Between the impact of inflation and the extra money that is being spent on fuel for every form of motorized transportation, it will mean that MANY billions of dollars in discretionary income will not be there any longer. People will simply have less money left over at the end of the month to buy the consumer "stuff" that has kept our economy stumbling along.

With fewer people buying consumer products, a huge ripple effect begins, as stores cut jobs (so now MORE people don't have money to spend), decrease product orders (so now the factories have to cut jobs and decrease the amount of raw materials that they order), which means that the raw materials suppliers cut jobs, etc... If this isn't brought under control VERY soon, then brace yourself for the recession to start all over again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I hope your other career is selling fuel! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(I know the store owners aren't raking it in, just a little humor)

Good luck with the job change.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And yet another American dream comes to an end.

We can sit here and discuss just exactly why the gas prices are so high; but what really irks me is do we have absolutely any idea if something is being done about? Nope. It wouldn't surprise me if nothing was being done about, and it wouldn't surprise me if the media wasn't reporting, but it comes down to the fact that this crap has affected the livelyhoods of a lot of a people. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the only thing I've seen on the news about the price of gas was a week or two ago a local station claimed that a station just over the border in Jersey has some of the cheapest gas in the country. I forget I think it was like .08cents cheaper than where I work. But I know for a fact that down in Louisianna gas is still just like 1.80(that feels dirty to say, just 1.80). And I agree Bubba, I don't think anything is being done about it, and what can we do but complain to congressmen? Sorry but they really don't HAVE to listen to us, they could simply say, oh we are trying and we'd never know the difference.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The trucking industry has been takin a pretty big hit here too.
    The guys that made it through the last fuel "crisis" are going under now. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Had one guy in the shop with no inneraxle shaft, the u-joint failed and he lost the shaft and just removed it(left the chewed up joint and yoke on the rear axle) and left with it running in interlock. He came in to get the A/C fixed.
    Then there is the folks buying the new and improved deisels.
    Not a happy crowd, the new EGR engines require more fuel and have less HP.
    So now they have a large rig and insurance payment to make and have a rig that gets worse mileage than the rig they just traded in.
    And if ya happen to own one of the new rigs ya better trade it off before the warranty expires, We do alot of warranty turbo,EGR problems.
    At the cost of a turbo failure for a "new" engine you could comletely rebuild an older one.
    My shop also sells fuel to the customers for $1.86.
    There is a fuel island and once you are in the system you can buy a card and get fuel.
    Right before the fuel went stupid we were freakin slammed, all the shops were. So of course the shop hires a bunch of newbies.
    Being the low man on the pole they are the first to get sent home, lately that has been as soon as they get to work.
    Most guys that drive a ways to get to work call in to see if it is even worth burning the gas to get there.
    I'm lucky.. I'm high enough up that I have been getting in almost 40 hrs. 37.75 this week.
    SRT's have become my best freind lately. milk that cow till the end.
    No bonus for me again this month.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And yet another American dream comes to an end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bubba, we can't all have a double wide

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Bubba, the bad thing is I am at a total loss as to what the real reason is for the price of fuel going up. It's shady, no clear reason, unless I'm just missing it from the media.

As to the new EGR pieces of junk, yes the blow ass. I bought a new 2004 Frieghtliner with the new specs and my fuel mpg was at 4.7mpg on a good day, for the first 90k miles. Then it started getting better, but no more then 6mpg. My payments on my truck that doesn't even get 6mpg was $2800/month and to add insult to injury the price of fuel is insane. To top it off the rates on loads have not changed at all. The national average is $.83p/mile. I was making an average of $1.27p/mile and I am having a hard time at making a profit. I can't imagine how all the drivers are making a living at less pay then me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyhow on the brighter side by swapping over careers I get to see my family most everyday and my gross income more then doubled and my net more then quadrupled. BUT I have to work ten times harder and puts a toll on my body, which was the reason I became a truck driver in the first place. Oh well, you lose some and you win some.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

jekbrown plan to solve this issue...

1) kick the left wing in the balls.

2) start paying for all our ops in the middle east with middle eastern oil. Our $, effort and lives freed Kuwait and Iraq, we oughta atleast get paid back.

3) start exploring/drilling for oil here in the USA, especially in the Gulf of Mexico off FL, off the coast of CA, and in Alaska.

4) more gov funding for research in the cheap use of shale oil.

5) use tax breaks to encourage some oil companies to build new refineries here in the US.

6) kick the left in the balls again.

result: $1/gallon gas.

problem solved.

j

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep, build refineries and drill oil in the US to increase the supply without relying on OPEC. You got it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

problem solved.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I see one hole in your theory, the left doesn't have balls.................

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya thats just what i want a refinery at the base of the rubicon, or insert your favorite trail here, srew that, i wanna be able to take my kids some plae cool when the grow up, take it from the middle east all they got it sand

14. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

problem solved.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think kicking them period would suffice. then kick them again. and again. and again. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I do think that drilling is a very good idea and could bring down prices quite a bit, I just dont think its the right thing to do right now. I think we should encourage more companys to start refining because right now oil is at 40 bucks a 55 gallon barrel, which is just as much as it cost in the 40s or 50s. And the different companys who refine oil are shrinking which means less competition and higher prices. In the early 90s, there were close to 8 or 10 companys who refine oil, now there is only 2 or 3 major corporations that control refining oil around the world. Its not so much that there isnt enough oil, there is more than enough, not that they are stingy towelhead bastards(well maybe) they have given us even more oil than in the past, but the refineries control how much gas and such is produced and sees widespread use and they are just cutting production because of the middle east scare and storing up their reserves, its our own corporations that are screwing us in the ass royally by what they are doing. I dont know about you guys, but this is what I have found to be causing the gas price rocket. I agree with the war oversees, but I dont agree with the "domestic terrorism" we are witnessing.

Remington

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You're not getting somewhat of a fuel sir charge? It takes a little effort but we have managed to get a sir charge out of most of our large customers that we haul for. ANother thing is why did you buy a brand new rig? New rigs are nice but OUCH! 2,800 bones a month. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif If your payment was smaller that would help out a lot. We run mostly 95-96' FLD112 freightliners and usually get a decent deal on them at auctions, auctions are GOOD places to get trucks for a good deal especially if you are looking for more than one.

I'm not trying to give you a bad time at all for buying a new truck and would love to have a new rig myself in the fleet but I know that if we had a $2800 a month payment on all the trucks we couldn't afford to stay open for business. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You're not getting somewhat of a fuel sir charge? It takes a little effort but we have managed to get a sir charge out of most of our large customers that we haul for. ANother thing is why did you buy a brand new rig? New rigs are nice but OUCH! 2,800 bones a month. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif If your payment was smaller that would help out a lot. We run mostly 95-96' FLD112 freightliners and usually get a decent deal on them at auctions, auctions are GOOD places to get trucks for a good deal especially if you are looking for more than one.

I'm not trying to give you a bad time at all for buying a new truck and would love to have a new rig myself in the fleet but I know that if we had a $2800 a month payment on all the trucks we couldn't afford to stay open for business. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I was getting a damn good fuel surcharge. Yes $2800 is alot of money I guess, but I got the 3yr note not the typical 7yr note. On top of that an awesome warranty and I mean awesome. I could of went out and bought another truck from the auction, but choose not to. It's to the point that if my truck was paid off (which I did 2 weeks ago), its still not worth working harder for a smaller paycheck then I'm used to. I went from coming home at least once a week ( even if it's for a few hours) and netting about $4k a week to coming home once every 3 months and netting $3k a week. Truck payment didn't play any role in my decision.

18. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

problem solved.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think kicking them period would suffice. then kick them again. and again. and again. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, everyone should get one good kick in.

19. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

2) start paying for all our ops in the middle east with middle eastern oil. Our $, effort and lives freed Kuwait and Iraq, we oughta atleast get paid back.

3) start exploring/drilling for oil here in the USA, especially in the Gulf of Mexico off FL, off the coast of CA, and in Alaska.

4) more gov funding for research in the cheap use of shale oil.

5) use tax breaks to encourage some oil companies to build new refineries here in the US.

problem solved.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Gas was $1.09 a gallon before your presidents brother rigged the election...

20. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck with the new career! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for this:

[ QUOTE ]
    And if you did get paid more you would end up paying more for the things you haul

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most dangerous thing that the gov't is trying to have us all ignore right now. Truck drivers simply can't afford to haul stuff at a loss, so they will be forced to raise prices, which will increase the cost of the goods that they transport. That will create the dreaded inflation that the Fed is so paranoid about. Between the impact of inflation and the extra money that is being spent on fuel for every form of motorized transportation, it will mean that MANY billions of dollars in discretionary income will not be there any longer. People will simply have less money left over at the end of the month to buy the consumer "stuff" that has kept our economy stumbling along.

With fewer people buying consumer products, a huge ripple effect begins, as stores cut jobs (so now MORE people don't have money to spend), decrease product orders (so now the factories have to cut jobs and decrease the amount of raw materials that they order), which means that the raw materials suppliers cut jobs, etc... If this isn't brought under control VERY soon, then brace yourself for the recession to start all over again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very scary to think of what may come.

I would like to see a substantial freight rate increase so that the average Joe consumer can pay more for items he/she buys, maybe then the public would begin to realize the importance of the trucking industry and drivers would get the respect that they deserve. Truck drivers give up a lot of things in life to deliver goods that are purchased by inconsiderate consumers who flip them the bird for trying to deliver the goods that they buy!!! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! I could rant about this for ever...