Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I really messed up this time, Is there any hope?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Dec 15, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Boy did I do it this time. When I mounted my tranny cooler, I mounted it too high. Today when I slammed the hood closed the latch punctured the cooler. I didnt notice until after I drove down the 12 mile canyon road by my house. The tranny started slipping as I enterd my driveway, I figured my tranny at 124,000 was just shot so I got in my toyota and went to work. Tonight when I got home I had to rev it pretty hard to get it out of my driveway in reverse. This is when I noticed my major blunder (oil all over the grill). I had fresh oil in therre and now it still looks pink. Do you think I fried it? If so i'm not gonna waste money now to get another cooler until I save up for a new tranny. Could it be just low on oil? I pretty much just coasted down the road I was driving and I really was only slipping here at my house.

2. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Re: I really f***ked up this time, Is there any hope?

I'd say bypass the bad cooler,fill the tranny and give it a shot.If the tranny still works good, get another cooler.

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    CO,USA
    <font color=red>http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com</font color=red>[​IMG]

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Well I think a lot depends on how long you ran it low. I've run th-350's low before with no effect at all..I think the 700-r4's might be a little more twitchy. I would fill 'er up and see how she runs and go from there.

"I'm not stuck...I just dropped my beer in my lap"

4. azjimmy

azjimmy Registered Member

Should be OK, I agree with the guys, fill it up and let er' rip, you'll find out if it's junk in a hurry! Pat

<font color=red>Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!</font color=red>[​IMG]
    '76 Jimmy 6" w/35's

5. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Well I filled her back up, I took 5 quarts. Worked well for about 5 min and then I lost 3rd and 4th gear. All I can do is manuver in 1st, 2nd and rev. Got a new tranny from Bowtie overdrives on the way. So far steve, the owner has been a joy to work with. He seems really interested in helping others. I know he's a salesman, but wow, He's called me back at work personally and has spent about 2 hours on the phone with me to make sure everything goes well. I highly reccomend him so far. I'll keep you posted on the install. P.S, has anyone used a manual torque converter lockup on their 700r? Steve says its mandantory for rigs like ours that operate under load.

6. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I did transmissions for years. I would give it a try. Your biggest problem though, is driving a Toyota.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

shum1: Would you mind tossing some of that cash over here....you break a tranny in a day and already have one on order....I need some upgrades here [​IMG]

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

8. bennett

bennett Registered Member

Hey shum..........what 12 mile canyon you talking about??
    out of mayfield? I'm from Utah also

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I cant remember the username but some guy jus the other day said he lives in the area of 700r4.com and has seen that they don't live up too the hipe that everyone one on CK5 has mentioned.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

10. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Bennett, I live at the base of big cottonwood canyon, this day however I was comming down little cottonwood. See ya.

11. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

If Shum1 lives at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon he can afford to replace a couple of transmissions.

Just kidding Shum1. I used to live in a nice area of Holladay but couldn't afford a Pepsi!!

12. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is a manual lock up converter ??? Is it better than the factory converters ???

13. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Believe me, We bought the lamest POS house in the neighorhood and Ive been bust'n butt on it for the last 5yrs. Manual lockup: when engaged it prevents all slipping and consequent heat build up when letting on and off the accelerator.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The lockup mechanism in a 700r4 torque converter isn't designed to take much torque. It's just designed to be locked when cruising on the highway, to drop the rpm by 200-300. GM programs the computer to unlock the converter as soon as you start to press the go pedal towards the floor. I don't think it would last too long if you kept it locked up all the time. It wasn't designed with that kind of use in mind.

I'd stick with the stock coverter and install a B&M 24K lbs GVWR Super Cooler. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com