Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I really need some help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stickshooter, Mar 2, 2002.

1. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

1981 K5 305 with stock HEI coil in cap ignition. I have fire on two cylinders only. New HEI coil, new ignition module, new plugs and wires. I've performed the ohmmeter tests on the ignition coil and the pickup coil, even though they're new and both checked out. I have 12v coming to the distributor. New rotor as well. I also ran a hot wire directly to the coil from the battery just in case my supply from the ignition was dropping out under a load.

I did just notice that my gas gauge, instead of reading the 1/4 tank that it has been, is now way over on the right hand side in about the 4 o'clock position. I don't know if that has any thing to do with it or if it's indicating a short somewhere that's affecting the whole system.

What's going on?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Did you replace the cap and rotor too? The gas gauge thing sounds suspisious to me... Is the ground strap that attaches on the passenger-rear side on the engine still connected and in good condition? Finally, maybe you got a defective ignition module? Just a few ideas...

Good luck... [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://home.attbi.com/~netwrite>Midwest Caravan</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry, but is the pickup coil new or did it just test good? It is possible for the coil's resistance to test okay but still be bad....
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

4. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

I did not replace the cap or the pickup coil. I did see what looked like a loose ground wire while I was tracing harnesses down checking for loose connections.

5. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Definitely check your ground wires, a bad groud will cause all kinds of weird problems.

87 V1500 305 TBI 208/465 4" 35"procomp mt Dana 44/12 bolt