Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I recieved my new gears today....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trouble1, Feb 17, 2003.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Got to love that Big Brown Truck....anyway, got my new 4.56 richmond gears and gear installation kits, ARB for the front, and a Eaton Posi Rear End. Anyone know how to install????? theres way more pieces parts than I expected... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Setting the gears is a skilled job. Might have to farm that one out. I did on mine.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Cool deal. You will really like it when you get those 4.56's in. They help out alot. The lockers make things alot easier offroad too. Those 4.56's will help with that 305 of yours out alot. Also make sure you pick up some good trail spare axles for your truck and try and stay as light as possible to help those 1/2 tons out. My truck is heavy as hell, but I have the 14bff out back so I don't think I will be breaking that anytime soon.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You're going to need some tools...
    dial indicator w/ stand and an in-lb beam type torque wrench, at the least.
    You'll need a way to press the new bearings on a way to remove the old bearing. You can pay a shop to do it for you if needed.
    Be prepared to have the truck down for a while if it takes you longer than you thought.
    -- Mike

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

can a newbie to mechanics do this, or a newbie plus an experienced car guy, but neither with experience with rear ends, cuz i really want/need new gears, but cant afford to pay someone, thanks...

6. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

My friend, an expereinced car guy had all the tools and was able to setup the front and rear of his Heep, but it took him about 12 hours or more with nobody helping who really knew what was going on. His brother's Heep didn't go so well and now he's out about $1600.... all in all he's 3 for 5. Just remember, if you screw your new gears up you will have to pay someone to fix it AND buy new gears. I personally wouldn't do it without someone who is better than 3 or 5 : )

andy

7. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

The two critical measurements are the back lash and the pinion depth... basically the combination of adjusting these two axes lines up the two gears where they should be, with the pinion gear teeth putting pressure on the ring gear teeth in a very exact position. Tolerances for these measurements are only a few thousandths of an inch, hence the need for such specialized tools.

Lets say you try this yourself following directions perfectly, put it all together and everything seems right. You start driving, and it goes, so everything seems okay, right? Wrong. If the position of those gears is even a little less than almost perfect, you could lose those gears 50, 100, 500, 5000 miles down the road, whereas if they are done properly, they will last the life of the truck.

Im not trying to doubt your skill or ability to follow some procedures, but setting gears is an area where most (even the experienced wrenchers) tend to back off and have someone whos been formally trained (or just has a lot of experience) do it.

8. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Yup...as I expected, the axles are getting farmed out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Thats O.K., altough I really wanted to do all the work myself, its more important that it runs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif