Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I saw a Gentleman Jim!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Jun 24, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I was on my usual 3hour drive home every other friday, and there was a Gentleman Jim truck for sale on the side of the road. So I stopped just to check it out for fun because I've never seen one in person.
    The guy is off his rocker. He's got $8500 on it! Now if it was in good condition, I could mabey see it. But this thing was beat and not even close to original which his price is suggesting it is. faded paint, holes cut in kick panels, seat cover, missing the special embroidered floor mats, missing original special gold carpeting, missing original 454 engine (he had a 400 in it), cracked up gold dash, missing special extra "passing beams" (driving lights), missing SS spalsh guards, missing GJ tonnoau cover, 70some thousand miles. Body was is good shape, little rust, and not dented up. But, to me it looked like just a regular old 1975 GM pickup.
    Amazing what people think they can get for things. ABout the only thing gentleman jim about the truck was the sticker on the bedside and the gold/black paint job.

For those that don't know, the GJ was a special edition truck in 1975, only about 1000 or so were made according to the best esitmates.

http://www.73-87.com/Special_Editions/factory_trucks/Gentlemen_Jim/jim3.jpg

I mumbled to myself "good luck with that one buddy" and continued on my trip home.

2. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I had never knew this truck existed. Would be kind of cool to have a mint/restored one sitting around. If only 1000 or so were made, probably only a few left.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

http://www.gmcspecialeditions.com/

[​IMG]

1975 GMC Gentleman Jim

The 1975 GMC Gentleman Jim was a special edition truck (total production unknown, but I've seen truck serial numbers spanning about 1000 trucks) all of these trucks were optioned almost identically. The Gentleman Jim was only built in 1975 and definitely in limited quantity. The advertising and dealer brochure of the time show that GMC was trying to change the image of their pickups from a rough and tumble teeth rattling work machine to a practical everyday vehicle that could be luxurious and stylish.
    The following features were included on all Gentleman Jims:
    1/2 ton 2wd long bed GMC Sierra Classic pickup (C15)
    Automatic transmission
    Special black and gold paint scheme with bodyside moldings (gold painted center stripe) and gold hood stripe decals
    "Gentleman Jim" bedside decals
    Saddle vinyl interior w/brown carpet
    Bucket seats with console
    AM/FM 8-track stereo
    All weather air conditioning
    Power brakes and steering
    Full instumentation with tachometer
    BFG T/A LR60-15 tires on gold painted rally wheels
    Gold grille with bright molding
    Tinted glass
    Front stabilizer bar
    Tilt steering
    Custom "Gentleman Jim" floor mats

In addition to the options above, a majority of the Gentleman Jim trucks I've seen have the dealer installed bedrails and driving lights as seen in the brochure below

4. 73k5blazer

Yep. That's it. That's what I saw. Except that one is alot nice than the one I saw. I didn't know about the bucket seats/console. The one I saw had a bench seat, so I guess yet another thing not original.
    I think I'm sick though, I spotted it about 1/4 mi before I got to it, and I immediatly knew exactly what it was.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used to see one a lot around here in the Eighties. Bet it was junked........

6. 73k5blazer

Haha...the last few weeks the price was $3500, Yesterday on the way down, I saw, on a much bigger sign, $2500 MUST SELL. And he finally moved it and cut the grass from underneath it. It had grown up to the beltline.

Haha...still not worth it...IMHO $1500, well...mabey....

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

GM also did a "Beau James" version. I believe they were blue & white.:D

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Did they make a K5 version of this? I've seen a Blazer here in Cheyenne with that same paint scheme...

9. 73k5blazer

Not that I know of.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i am looking for some heavy half stickers like the ones were the gentelman jim ones are on the box. any one know were or got a full size file pic i can take to the local sticker guy.