Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I saw a horrible accident tonight... warning - very gross story

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Jan 14, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

So I was driving down the interstate in a rural area at about 12:30 AM in a semi truck about 9 minutes from our truck yard, and I hear on the cb "there is a car going the wrong way on the interstate". I find out the car is going eastbound in the westbound lane, which means it was coming my direction. Just then I see the car... then it ran head on into a semi truck. It was about 1/2 mile ahead of me. I slow and come to a stop, both lanes are blocked and debris is everywhere. It is hard to describe the condition of the car. There was nothing left of it. I was the first vehicle in line and was about 50 feet from the truck and car. The car had disintegrated and there was no (human) body... just parts laying everywhere. I had to sit there for 2 hours and 20 minutes while they (cops, firefighters) did their thing and cleared the road enough for us to get by. Meanwhile, they were walking around picking up body parts and putting them into a bag. The coroner found a purse, so it's likely it was a woman driving. The truck driver was walking around, very shaken up, but otherwise uninjured. This happened about 7 miles from my house and the driver of the car was probably someone local. It was by far the worst thing I have ever witnessed. I don't think I'll sleep well tonight, possibly not for a while.

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Wow! Glad to see that the other truck driver was on God's good side plus all the other people on the highway including yourself.

You are abit in shock from realizing that the driver could have been you but it was not and your alright. Keep your head up and attentive while driving and do your part for safe driving and you will have nothing to keep you awake at night.

William

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: wow. wonder why the car was goin the wrong diresction

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

99% of the time it's a Drunk Driveer the other 1% is old senile people or people fleeing from the law. Best guess

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

My little sister has lived over on Okinawa in Japan at Kadina AB for 8 years. She's spent most of her life driving on the left side of the road. She's recently moved back to the states and I tease her when she comes to a stop and turns on the windshield wipers instead of the blinker. When she gets in a rush and is not thinking about it, she's gotten in the left lane out of habbit.

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've been there. Helped at wrecks where I tried to bring the involved people back to this life.....didn't work, but I tried. It's just a fact of life, just let it re-inforce how careful you should be, and in a twisted way, makes you appreciate that you're still here.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can see driving the wrong way on a surface street,but interstates (at least all I have ever been on) are divided and if someone saw her before the wreck, certainly she should have realised that something was not quite right.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Bad reasons why; times like that its good to find a mtn. top, look out as far as the horizon & remember where you were before.:bow:

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

This is something that is on my mind everytime i get in the truck, everyday.

As a truck driver, the biggest fear i have, is someone doing something stupid in front of me (which happens alot) or just a mistake on their part and "losing control" and my truck taking them out. Or just a plain accident where my vehicle would be involved and end up killing someone, or a family.

I try to the extreme to be the safest driver i can while in the truck to prevent anything from happening, it IS hard with the way people drive, and the way they are always "in a hurry", but if something were to happen, accident or plain stupidity, where someone was killed, i really do believe that would end my driving career.

There is one video that is pretty stuck in my mind, the Wild police chase video, where the little pick-up truck that had just stolen some lawn mowers was running from the cops, and was t-boned by a semi that was moving at a pretty good rate. Both people were killed instantly.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You mean both people in the little truck, right? How could a little truck (or even a K5) hurt a rig driver in a normal (no turnover, stc) collision?

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yes, both people in the little pick-up truck were killed, the semi hit them so hard, the little truck didn't even have time to turn over or anything, it looked like a train hit it, smashed through it, and pushed it down the road till they stopped.

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i know the clip... think the pickup was black iirc..

i've had a couple incidents in my life i wish i never saw... as a teen, i had a friend get hit by a car about 20' away from me. car was doing about 60, dragged him down the highway about 300'... pretty traumatic for a 12 yr old.....

was also first on scene when an old pickup hit an oak tree one time years ago... steering wheel pretty much ripped his lower jaw off.. held his head in a towel till someone came... when i finally got home, it really hit me what just happened...

my hats off to fire, emt, etc... i couldn't do it... when its me its one thing.. i can breakbones or spew blood and it doesn't bother me... but when its someone else, it really screws with my head...

thumbs up for all rescue workers... :waytogo:

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

4GUNZN4X4Z had a nasty one a couple of years ago. Some guy pulled into his lane and hit his truck head on. From what Michael told me they figured the guy committed suicide by truck. No skid marks or even any attempt to swerve... The Rig was completely destroyed, and IIRC Michaels partner was pretty banged up and doesn't drive anymore.

Rene

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I live about a mile from I-90. That happens more then you'd think. Happens atleast a couple times a summer near the exit by my place. Last time was a old guy, time before that was a drunk.

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I stopped driving heavy wrecker because of something similar to this, left me shocked and disguusted. 3 illegals were evidently out drinkingand driving they blew through a train crossing with the arm down and hit a train that was allready crossing the intesection the car went underneath the rail car, and was wadded up into a ball about 4 feet in diameter with people still inside. tha car was estimated to have been going in excess of 70 mph. The car was was totally unrecognizable, I couldn't tell what it was the emergency crews couldnt do anything for the victims, there wasnothing left of them to try to help. I had to use my 40 ton wrecker to lift the rail car, and another winch from my wrecker to pull the car out from under the rail car. The ball of twisted metal dripped and oozed "goo" all the way back to my yard.

no one ever claimed the car cause the owner was killed in the accident and they were here illegally anyway. we ended up hauling it to a wrecking yard here that "disposes" of problems, it was burned and then buried in a twenty foot hole, I shudder every time I think of it!

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

and HP, they are always the first one there. Out on the Highway, the wrecks have a combined speed of 120+ = hamburger.:bow:

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

We had a lot of wind last night that slowed my truck down a few miles per hour for my 1 hour drive, so it could have very well have been me instead. The exit I needed to take, 3 miles from the wreck, is the same one she used to enter. I had to write a note for my dispatcher (because the office was empty) to explain why it took me 3 1/2 hours to travel 61 miles. My handwriting was crazy.

I talked to Paul (Can Can) on the phone a few weeks ago, and the way people drive is something I was telling him has become a problem. Many people drive as if they are immortal, and they show no concern what so ever for the lives of other people. It makes me real angry when I see people driving wrecklessly. I could rant for hours with details... but everyone would get bored.

Emergency responce around here is usually real good. The first cop on the scene was a local from about 4 miles away, and he was there within a couple minutes. I'm guessing he got the call from 911 about the wrong-way driver and was already in route before the wreck. The fire and rescue came from about 8 miles away and they were there within 15 minutes. All of the fire and rescue workers in this area are volunteers, and they are top notch guys who take their responsibilities very seriously. Fatality wrecks around here suck because it's not a populated area, and usualy at least one or more of the rescue workers personally knows the person(s) involved.

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

When I was sixteen , I stopped behind a motorcycle at a light. It was prior to the Ninja type bikes, but a muscle bike nevertheless. When the light goes green, the guy rolls it on hard. No way I could keep up with him but I get on it a bit. He gets about 100 yards and a semi pulls out of a driveway in front of him to make a left. I watch as the guy lays the bike down and slides under the trailer. He almost makes it but hits his head (no helmet back then) on the lower edge of the box. I see an explosion of pink, gray, and red. Kind of like an M80 in a watermelon. I pull up and the guys body is laying shoulder low in the driveway of the strip mall. There is no head, just shoulders and a Monty Pythonesque gusher. Pieces of brain everywhere. It grossed me out and I was sick for two weeks. What sucked was, I was leaving to live in Hawaii for the summer in a week.

After that experience, I've had a stomach of iron. It prepped me for later life because I couldn't even begin to count the dead bodies I've seen since then, in all states of condition. Now I can stand over a maggot infested body and eat a pomegranate chased by some tapioca pudding no problem...:yikes:

19. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

20. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats the one i was thinking of.... that plane landing was psycho!!