Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I saw something scarry

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BIG*RED, Feb 1, 2006.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

I was out running some errands and pulled into a parking lot, and as i did i noticed a Jimmy. and it was lifted. as i passed by it i saw that it didn't have blocks in the rear. So i thought must have a shackle flip or just lift springs.

I parked the Blazer and walked over to it, and sure enough it had a shackle flip..but a scarry shackle flip.

They were useing the stock shackle bracket!..they just cut a hole in the bottom of it, then shoved the shackle back up through it! I looked closer at it, and boy that looks pretty scarry. looks to me like the whole shackle bracket has been weakend buy cutting that hole in the bottom of it.

I guess it works tho, but i sure wouldn't trust it:doah:

2. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

That was/is a fairly common practice to do it cheap, gusseting is your friend thou.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

common (as the article shows). its really not scary. Granted I prefer the idea of strengthening the bracket, but as long as you keep the cutting or just what you need for shackle clerance, its plenty strong.

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Yep. looked just like that. Guess i have been living in a cave, I have never seen a shackle flipped like that before. Still not sure that i would do that...at least not with out the gussetting...

Does doing it that way still give you 4inches of lift? The Jimmy I saw sat lower than mine, but he also had smaller tires, so i'm not sure of the total lift it had

6. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad, I wouldn't do it either. Although i have friends that have had good luck with this technique, I'm still scared of it.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i dont like it. you cant get a good shackle angle and you certainly cant get enough shackle swing. if your looking for cheap i guess it works. it doesnt perform though, and i cant speak for everyone but id rather spend a little to have a quality system then just skimp and get by.