Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I screwed up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sope, Jan 27, 2006.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I just realized that I bought a gov locked 14 bolt ff. :doah: I have already shaved painted and installed the diff. I have a Detroit sitting beside the gov lock. My real question is how much is an open carrier worth? And is a gov lock worth anything to sell? I plan to stop by the salvage yard today. I really wished I had thought about this before. I guess I didn't realize how comon gov locks are.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

open carriers are cheap, i cant rember how much i paid for mine, but i was cheap,

3. bayou blazer

bayou blazer 1/2 ton status

I paid around $40 for mine, not too hard to get one.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the 14 full floters are better than the rest. i have run one with 38" tires and built 400sbc in 1 ton truck. no problems. i lkie them for daily drivers. then i installed my detroit and had more problems with traction in the snow after that than i liked. but the rear was always locked.

if you know how to use the gov -lock thay are great. just need to make sure thay are locked in before full throttle.

5. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I will start the hunt tomorrow.
    sweetk30 Ive run a detroit before in my 10 bolt and I won't use anything else. I do have to drive in the snow and my chev stays at home for the comute. Dual lockers are unsafe on snow covered roads and I have a front wheel drive beater that I chain up for that.