Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I searched but.....d44 ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Jan 21, 2003.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I must suck at the whole search thing. Here is my question. can I weld my front D44 in place of a locker till I have $$ for one??

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

suuuureee, just be sure the steering gear on your truck is really strong, and that the frame near the steering box isnt cracked. you may also run into axel breakage. how big of a tire are you running?

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'm running 38's with a part time kit. The ONLY reason I would consider doing this is because I don't lock it in till I need it. Also, would I experience any more damage/breakage with it welded than with a locker?? I just want to understand is all.

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

some thing like a lock right will release when you go around a corner, or an lsd will never "lock" but it will be more user friendly. i guess if it isnt a daily driver and you only plan to lock the hubs, dive in then un lock em. go for it, when the hube are undone, you wont notice it.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, thanks. Good points to ponder!

6. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The ONLY reason I would consider doing this is because I don't lock it in till I need it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you mean just shifting in and out of 4 wheel, yes, you will notice a welded front end even in 2 wheel drive if the hubs are locked. Much more than with a locker, which, depending on who you talk to is unnoticeable when in 2 wheel.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I will be running the part time kit in the t-case and warn prem. hubs. In 2H I shouldn't "feel" anything with the hubs unlocked. I was wondering how it would affect the feel and steering with just the hubs locked in on the trail, snowpacked roads, etc.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you want to weld it, DON"T lock the hubs until you hit the dirt, and even then I would just lock one side till you get to the hard stuff.
    Steering will be a challenge and it will understeer a lot. I have to do a lot of 3 point turns for places others just easily glide through.
    Unlocked hubs you will never notice it though, so driving it on the streets should be fine.