Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I searched but,... tub swap from a 74 to a 79

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zepplin, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I searched some posts and I realize that a 80's Blazer body has a different floor than my 74. My 74 is so rusty that it will be cheaper to swap to a rust free body.

Anyway, is the floor the same on the 79 with the step down up front by the driver's seat? I think the body bushings may be different but will the back body mounts at least line up?

Basically, I am wondering if a 79 Blazer tub will fit on a 74 frame with minor/ major body mount fabbing.

I am aware I need to cut the top and reinforce the floor, etc..........etc....

Thanks for any insight on this.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Putting a 74 on a 80 frame is cake. Going the other way isn't. TRusty has done it but he pretty well swapped the floor to make it work.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno Grim, the 73-77 frame has the drop in the frame closer to the front due to the lack of the footwell on those bodies. I would think the footwell on a 79 body would hit the frame...a body lift might help it clear though. I went the other way, 73 rear tub on my 81 frame. I have a large space between the body and frame in that area because I no longer have a footwell.

Either way there will be some body mount fabbing going on at the number 3 position. 73-77 had the mounts inboard of the frame there, 78 and newer are outboard of the frame at that position.

Jeremy, if you take some measurments of your frame I'll gladly compare for you.

Rene

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so a 74 body would fit on a 77 frame with no fabbing?

I am not sure if i understand this "foot" thing...

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

LOL, how you know I was going to read this....
    heres the measurements on a 1977 Frame
    from the front body mount to the rear
    1)zero inches,LOL 3/8" below frame
    2)55-5/8" back(back edge to back edge) 3" below frame
    3)43" (back from previous) 3" above the frame
    4)38-7/8" back 1-1/4" above frame
    5)29-1/8" back zero

Alll measurements were the outside edge of the bolt bushing hole to the next body mount hole, with no bushings.
    the second measurement in each line is the distance the mount is in relation to the frame rail.
    Hope this helps

6. tRustyK5

Zakk, the older Blazer body's the floor raises up right behind the front seats. In 78 they added the fold and tumble seat and changed the floor a bit. Starting in 78 the floor behind the front seats is at the same level as the front for about 18" rearward before it raises up to the level of the rear floor. This is the 'footwell'...

Jeremy (Zeppilin is also Jeremy...) check the passenger side of your 77 frame. On my 81 starting at the back of the truck it is straight, then raises up a little over the wheels and right where the passenger shock stud is the frame drops down at a 20 degree angle or so.

Rene

7. Grim-Reaper

Nooo read mine again. I said 74 on a 80 frame. Sorry I thought you had put a newer body on a older frame for some reason....my bad. Memory is going.

8. tRustyK5

Your memory and my eyesite.../forums/images/icons/blush.gif I just re-read your post. You had it right, I put an older body on a newer frame...which isn't quite cake but it's much easier than the other way round.

Rene

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Well, the body is just resting on the frame right now. I have the freedom to look at the frame and body quite easily at this point. I just jacked it up a little and took out what was left of the body bushings. The #3 mounts are inside of the frame.

From what I read, the floor is of equal height until it comes up to the rear seat. If I remember right, (my brother had a 84 K5) the rear bench sits on this?

If I am picturing the new body correctly, the problem areas for the floor to frame interferance would be somewhere around the rear passengers foot area. Where the rear passengers would place their feet?

My frame does step up right behind the driver's seat where that ledge is. I would take it that the 76+ K5's have a frame that is more or less straight?

Here is my options:

1) Find a 74 tub, that's rust free

2) get a newer tub style and deal with body mount fab work and incorporte a body lift

3) get a newer tub and frame and swap over the axles

At this point the only components on the 74 frame are the axles, tires and the leaf springs and shocks.

I have no prior body experience or welding. So, I could get some help in regards to relocating the body mounts if I went with a newer style body. Should I use the windshield frame from the 74 and graft it onto the newer style? Or incorporate the roll bar I plan to run to support the windshield after I chop the top? I'm familiar with using a Sawzall though!

Anything else I should take into consideration?

TIA

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Zeppelin,

I know you're a long way from Az... but I've got a 1975 parts Blazer that has a rust free tub. Both rear q-panels are gone tho...

Wanna see some pics?

Marv

11. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Thanks MS but, I am looking for something that is ready to go.
    Thanks for the offer though.

12. Grim-Reaper

Whos says it has to be a Blazer tub? If you don't need the back seats Put a truck cab on the blazer frame and build a flat bed.