Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I searched..Now I'll ask about vibrations *Now with a pic*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stickseler, May 13, 2003.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I searched..Now I\'ll ask about vibrations *Now with a pic*

I finally finished putting on my lift and drove my truck to work today. It's got rough vibrations from 15-45 but not when you mash the gas only when steady or going up a hill. when you mash the gas it kinda feels like a seat massager. I've read the problems with the axle but I've got a CV shaft. It's got a light Vibe at around 65 but it had that before the lift. It's going in Fri for a front end alignment what should I have them check for?

Heres the specs: 89 K-5 235k miles

Stuff Done this month
    TCI 2.5" Lift (the old springs were stock so it sits about 3-4" taller)
    Zero Rates in back
    Greasable Bushings F/R (Torqued to 50 lbs)
    ORD Front shackle
    TCI SX8000 Shocks

Most of this work was done this time last year about 5k miles ago
    Jasper 350
    Rebuilt 700r4
    Rebuilt 241 with SYE
    New CV shaft with the slip yolk about a foot up from the pinion (it lengthened about .5 - 1" with the lift")
    New Hubs, U-Joints, stub shafts

1" body lift, poly mounts, Pro-Comp A/T 33/12.5/15 new around Thanksgiving

Also do I need to worry about my front drive-shaft length with the lift. and are they rebuild-able it feels a little loose at the spline?

Also Thanks to: Rene, Bubba, Jeff and Evan for the help Definatly worth the $25.00 and then some /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: I searched..Now I\'ll ask about vibrations

<font color="green"> If the vibe goes away when you mash the gas, I'd guess that your pinion is aimed a bit too low. What's the angle like at the pinion/driveshaft u-joint?

You'll probably need to get the front shaft lengthened, when you do the guy will be able to tell you if it's worn out... There is usually a little play but it shouldn't be that bad.</font>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What rear axle are you running? When I installed my 14bff (truck has 2.5" lift) I got vibs from 45-65mph. Raising my transfer case back to the stock position (lowered after lifting) actually took my vibs out. My vibs were when I got off the gas or was at a steady throttle.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also Thanks to: Rene, Bubba, Jeff and Evan for the help Definatly worth the $25.00 and then some

[/ QUOTE ]

I helped ya????? Holy cow!!!!!!! Must not remembered it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't really help ya on the vibration after lift; but all the vibrations I've had has come from u-joints, bad rear ends, tires being out of balanced and also tread separating.

5. TNS10HYBRID

TNS10HYBRID Registered Member

Hey, if you get up under the truck and twist each joint manually(is that a word?)both driveshaft ends and the joint between the inner and outer axle in the front end and then lift your front axle up and try to shake the tires from top to bottom to check for bad ball joints you will probably find the problem yourself. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Stickseler

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd guess that your pinion is aimed a bit too low. What's the angle like at the pinion/driveshaft u-joint?

[/ QUOTE ] I'll check that. I didn't lower the T-case How do I measure the angle? I heard its suppose to be within 1 or 2 deg? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    What rear axle are you running....Raising my transfer case back to the stock position (lowered after lifting)

[/ QUOTE ]

10 Bolt...maybe I should Lower the T-case... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I helped ya????? Holy cow!!!!!!! Must not remembered it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Moral support....I had some ? that you answered....don't remember what though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey, if you get up under the truck and twist each joint manually(is that a word?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did that...Also New ball joints last year ...yep manually is a word..and spelled correctly too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> With a CV shaft you want the pinion to be just low of being right in line with the driveshaft. 1-2 degrees low is about right, but you can eyball it, if it appears to be damn close to inline, almost imperceptibly low, then it's about right. To do it right you need to get an angle gauge.</font>

8. Stickseler

Here ya go... Pics My wife thinks I'm nucking futs a midnight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Also are the u-bolts suppose to lean forwards about 5 deg? The axle sits on the springs OK /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

So does your driveshaft leak from where it connects to teh tcase? cause i bought a cv and it leaks because tehre is a plate loose in there and it leaves the same rtv stain on my undercarriage whenever i drive....

10. Stickseler

Now that you mention it..I was wondering what that was.. I was gona investagate this weekend

11. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Re: I searched..Now I\'ll ask about vibrations *Now with a pic*

Try disconnecting the TCC connector on the tranny and see if that solves it. I just got a mad vibration like a week ago from about 35-45 mph under low throttle. I disconnected the TCC and it stopped vibrating, well goodbye lockup /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here ya go... Pics My wife thinks I'm nucking futs a midnight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Also are the u-bolts suppose to lean forwards about 5 deg? The axle sits on the springs OK /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Yep, that pinion is a bit low. Do you have shims in the back right now? I'd guesstimate that you need it about 4-5 degrees up from where it is now, maybe a little bit more. </font>

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yep, that pinion is a bit low. Do you have shims in the back right now? I'd guesstimate that you need it about 4-5 degrees up from where it is now, maybe a little bit more. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You need to start with raising the pinion angle. Pull the rear shaft and put it in 4wd and take it for a spin. I would almost most of the vibes will be gone.

14. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Shaggy &amp; Wayne about the angle, but also, you might want to check the cv joint. When I first put my cv shaft in, the cv went bad after about three weeks, felt like you were sitting on a big bumble bee. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif