Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i should get a patent for this!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Feb 17, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

well, maybe.....

heres my idea...my 14 ff is off an older truck so the parking brake cables are the same length....after much thought on what to do, i think i am going to look into rigging up 2 car parking brake levers, side-by-side, mounted to the left of my t-case lever, so i can control the wheel spin....1 tire has traction, pull the brake on the spinning tire so the other one grabs.........my 14 bolt has a limited slip, but this may really help it out in sticky situations....what do you guys think??

may end up being more of a pain in the arse than its worth...

AIRBORNE!!

2. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

That's how the traction control works on my Rover except it uses the abs sensors and the regular brake to stop wheel spin. It really works, i've been in mud almost up to the axles with the mostly on road tires and came out like a champ. Should work the same with your parking brakes but a whole lot cheaper.

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You may be out of luck on the patent, but it is a good tried and true idea. It's very common on dune buggies and are used for both traction and to get a tighter turning circle.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That is a great idea, but as mentioned, the sandrails have been using it for years.............they call it "turning brakes". Works awesome, used to have a buddy in AZ that had a sandrail with a Pinto motor (don't laugh, it was a kick tail 2300 cc motor with header, cam, Holley carb) that would turn on a dime..............

Might be a cool idea to try on our monsters.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

yeah, i know, i have used them on tractors too, but i still thought it would be worth looking into, esp, since my cable isnt usable and i dont feel like putting new backing plates on to make it work with the original one....i have a body lift on my truck, so that leaves quite a bit of clearance under the hump to mount them...i have seen the levers on small cars that would probably work fine and be small enough not to look to hedious next to my t-case lever....since they would only be operating one drum each, i dont think there would be a problem with them being to weak...the only prb i may have would be running the cables from the the lever to the drums....i really dont want them wrapped up in the d-shaft

AIRBORNE!!

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

And just think of the Donuts you could do!! [​IMG]

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!