Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I should have known better

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lefty88, Apr 10, 2007.

1. lefty88

lefty88 Registered Member

clipped the wires off my 85 k5 starter before labeling them.. now I dont know where the go....

2. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

There should be one large wire going to the main battery post on the solenoid, the remainder should go to the smaller pin. If I remember correctly.

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Actually only one wire goes to the small stud. All others go to the Main stud on the solenoid along with the main positive cable from the batt. Usually the start wire is the purple wire. It goes to the small stud that is to the 3 o'clock position from the main stud when looking at the rear of the solenoid.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The small stud is the one (usually) marked "S", for "Start". The opposite small stud is usually marked "R". Some of the newer solenoids are not marked at all. As the starter sits in the vehicle, the start terminal is the one closest to the engine block. I know that was said directly above, just another way to look at it. :) The terminals on the solenoid face towards the front of the vehicle.

Edit: as stated purple goes to "S"

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  5. Speedo

Speedo 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The large post on the starter holds the cable from the battery as well as the large wire to the alternator, I believe that both of those are supposed to be red. As noted there are sometimes 2 small terminals usually marked "S" and "R", the "S" terminal is home for a purple wire that comes from the start terminal of the ignition switch. The "R" terminal was used on pre HEI ignition engines and was for resistor bypass, it allowed full 12v. to the coil for start up while cranking. Many stater solenoids now have deleted the "R" terminal.

Gus