Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I snapped my 12B Axle shaft!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudbogAD, Dec 27, 2002.

1. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I was coming home from my girlfriends house on Sunday. I took off from a stop light and had it about 3/4 throttle and when it shifted into 2nd------------BOOM!!!! Suddenly it was clunking and I immediately stopped as I coasted into the gas station next to me. I noticed my brakes almost went to the floor when I stopped /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, so I got out to see my drivers rear tire sticking out about 4-5 inches and realized I broke my axle. I called a tow truck and it took them 3 hours to find a tow truck big enough to tow my truck /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. It is time for that 14ff /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.Too bad it had to happen this way. I'll get some pics up soon.

PS- I don't think that my stage 2 shift kit helped any.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Now you know why everyone rag's on 1/2 ton diffs! Thank God the axle/tire didn't leave the truck and go for a ride into someones car!!/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

rene

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im sorry man, but 39's with half ton running gear, and a heavy foot, sounds like a recipie for disaster, i'd be glad the stuff lasted this long. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the club. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I snapped a 12 bolt shaft last week! I Changed the axle and bearing on the side of the road in the rain. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    35's, a detroit, and a stage 2 shift kit also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif... and i got a heavy foot... ain't it fun to spin those tires in the rain. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

I'm in the same boat with you dude... Time for a 14 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I got my 14FF all set up , detroit & 4:56's, almost ready to go in.... its just that front thats holding me up. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

That would of really sucked. My 39.5" TSL chasin down a car /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I have a 14FF but I just needed my half tons to last awhile so I could save money for the 8-lug conversion and 14ff swap. Not to mention the new 8-lug wheels. I don't really have a heavy foot because I know I have 1/2 tons but this time I decided to take off a little quicker.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey guys some possible idea for ya
    1 there is a post on the 4 sale board looks like tony p. made some 8 lug to 6 lug adapters
    2. my buddy Henrick is secdulded to get in a k30 with D60 and4:56 gears with the matching corp14 bolt for the rear that he is probably gonna part out we were talking tonight he will be asking 1500 for the front or 1750.00 for the pair both in great shape and complete ready to bolt in + he accepts C.C. i think he was saying 1 of the 2 has a posi or locker also pm me if your interested or catch him direct at
    henrik@gmtruckcenter.com
    He has a great rep. and built a few of the members rigs here on ck5 check any of the so cal big dawgs posts

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Wow, That's exactly the same spot mine broke and it looks pretty much the same. I still need to buy the ring and pinion for 14FF(5.13's) and I'll be set for the rear. I also broke a tooth off my spider gears.

Hell ya, it's awesome spinnin tires in the rain. Especially with TSL's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Put alloy axles in the rear. Thats a common spot of a factory axle to break since it isnt hardened there. No need to swap everything over to a 14 FF if you are on 35s. Because then you loose ground clearence.
    I broke a spool before I broke an alloy axle in my Jimmy.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    No need to swap everything over to a 14 FF if you are on 35s.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, but I'm runnin 39.5" TSL's. I would just run stronger axles if I was runnin 35's though. I agree that there isn't really a need for a 14FF on 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But someone that broke THREE 12-bolts with 35's and a 10-bolt with 33's would tend to disagree. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif That's why there are 14-bolts under my K5 and my Sub. I just have a very heavy foot that is hard to hold up off of the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I can understand that. It's fun havin a heavy foot sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

all i can say is 14sf or 14ff so you can play all day as much as you like, yes i know how much fun it is to do donuts and stuff, so just build it up so you dont break axles like that. go fer it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dang adam why didn't you call me??

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea spining tsl's in the rain always looked like fun to me to a freind of mine was doing it one day pulling on to a major road and almost spun his truck all the way around into a turn lane with a few cars in LOL o well just a ford anyways /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I was talking about RyanB. as for the 35s. As for you that is a toss up. I have taken my burb twice now on my new 38.5s on my burb. It has a locked 10 bolt up front, and a open 12 bolt rear with alloy axles. So far so good, and I was hopping the back pretty good. I am not going to say it wont break, but alloy axles are twice as strong as factory axles, that and the alloys are new versus some 20+ year old axles.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I never broke an axle in a 12-bolt, but I broke teeth off of three different ring gears in three years. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Make this sticky...should go a long way toward swaying people in the 'leave 1/2 ton stuff alone' argument. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Actually, I've gone through 3 Ring &amp; Pinions and an axle in my 12 bolt... in the last 4 years.
    I plan to go bigger tires 37+ inches and have a 14ff/D60 in my garage i'm building up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'll beef the driveline first so it'll handle the BBC outta my camaro for a weekend down at Pismo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif