Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I sold a friend a bad 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 22, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

We knew ahead of time that it had a miss, but it made it to Utah and back, towing another Crew Cab on the return trip.

Found out tonight that #6 exhaust valve had no seat left, and the valve guide was HUGELY worn out. #2 valve seat was starting to go as well.

The shortblock was all fine... bored .040 over and everything looked in order. Just one head needs to be completely gone through... meaning do both heads, meaning time and money.

So now this weekend, I get to yank another 454 I have and bring it back to town and I'll give him that one. Funny too, cause I was JUST going to get that motor running this weekend after sitting 2 years... now after waiting that long I'm yanking it.

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Feel free to pull one of your spare big blocks and haul it this way too if you want... :grin:

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Me and parts are strange... there have been so many parts I've had that I've gotten for a vehicle of mine, then sold cause I needed money or changed plans. Like this motor I sold him originally I had gotten for my Camo Blazer, then it went into my Crew Cab, then I decided to sell it, now I'm getting it back and it's going into my GMC... so I think.

For the $700 he gave me and the damage we found to the one head, I feel like I owe him something that he wont have to spend so much money on to repair. We had expected a cam lobe as the culprit... and a cam and lifters would be a much simpler fix than the damage done to the head. He just wants to have his '72 Jimmy up and running by our mud races coming up in May.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats cool you're making it right.
    I've gotten a couple of junk motors before. got a 454 from a friend of my dads that said it was 'running' even though he didn't know for sure. picked it up for $500 and it ended up having a shattered piston and a huge gouge in the cylinder wall. :crazy: good thing he was a friend of my dads so we got our money back.

And thanks Allan for telling me i better go back to the junkyard and grab that BBC while i could.. a month or two ago. I've realized that big blocks are almost like a dana 60 front. In demand, Never in the junkyard, and if you do find one in the junkyard, its easy to double your money on em. :cool1:
    Now i'm always looking every time in the junkyard for another 454.. pick it up for $200, sell it for $500. :blush:

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

ive been searching the Pick n Pulls for a BBC for about 6 months now.
    i gave up and ordered the GM 454 HO motor.

im sure as soon as its delivered i will find a BBC and get it for $150.

thats just like my Dana 60, been going to the PnP's for almost 3 yrs looking for one, i finally said **** it and totally rebuilt and regeared a Dana 44.
    around this past christmas i was at the PnP for a sale, i had just about pissed my self when i seen the K30 sitting off in the corner.
    it was 10 below out, but i still got it, all for $155. :D

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

BB's are plentiful in the marine industry... i've got a couple good cores in the shop right now.. most of the boat BB's are freshwater cooled too, which is what you'd want for a truck app..

7. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

glad I didn't buy it from you :D