Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I solved the mysteryous tranny dipstick breaking/popping out problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Mar 18, 2001.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I forgot who was asking about it, but my tranny did the same thing. First it broke off the end of the dipstick, and it kept pushing out the dipstick when I drove. I thought it might be the vent getting clogged, and not releasing preasure, but it checked out. Then I just decided to change the filter and drop the pan to retrive my broken dipstick peice. I couldn't see how it broke, then it hit me....mabey the filter being sooo clogged (there was so much junk in that pan, I don't know if it had ever been changed), it built up pressure and popped the dipstick out. This constant popping out and me pushing it back in caused it to bent too much back and fourth at the tip where the stick has that weird dimond shaped opening, and snap....I guess. Any ways, I put it all back together, got a new stick, and everything is running smoothly.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If there was that much crap in the pan, you may want to change the filter and fluid again, in like 100mi. or so, to get the rest of the crap that was hiding in the tranny. Also, you may want to be prepared for a tranny failure, since that much material in the pan is a VERY BAD sign...
    What kind of tranny are you running?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

a th350

Insurred by Smith & Wesson