Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I splurged money I don't have on Flowmasters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 16, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I splurged money I don\'t have on Flowmasters

Well, I'm helping my mom work (janitorial) for the next two months to help pay for complete 3" exhaust with 50 series Flowmasters on my '75 K5 Orange Blazer.

$350 for the exhaust... I paid $400 for the whole Blazer 3.25 years ago. Oh well. I hate spending money /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, but I'm excited to hear the new sound /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif.

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: I splurged money I don\'t have on Flowmasters

That is what I have on my Blazer and I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

$350 is a damn good price for a complete exhaust system! Are the mufflers included in that price or did you buy them separately???

4. mountainexplorer

He's doing 3" pipe from the Headers back, with two 50 series Flowmasters, and 3" tailpipes dumping out behind the rear tires. Plus tax too.

5. mountainexplorer

How would you describe the sound of them? Loudness?

I was going to do 40 series Flowmasters and 2.5" pipe for $280, but he said he'd do the 50 series and 3" for $350 and said that the 50 series has a better sound (more mellow).

6. RingMaster4x4

I have hearders that goes in to dual 3" flowmasters and then exits at a 45 degree angle behind the rear tires. It is more of a mellow sound. It has a bit of a rumble at idle. It is mellow at cruse and sounds mean when you get on it. I also have a blance tube in it too.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've had both 40's and 50's in 2.5"...and in all honesty the 50's had a much better sound to them. The 40's were only a hair louder, but way more raspy as the R's got up there.

Rene

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I went from dual 2.25 40 series to a single 3" 50 series delta flow. I like the new exhaust much better, instead of being sooo loud like, it rumbles, kinda like a sleeper car, but when you get on it hard it roars! Nice and throaty sound, and the DF made it not so unbearable in the cab. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got dual 40s now. I'm getting kinda sick of them so I'm going to go to Magnaflows I think.

I agree with you guys...the tinny sound gets old with the 40s. Only thing I ever had a 50 on was an S10 Blazer and it was so quiet that it sounded stock.

I never realized how loud the 40s were until the badlands run where there was a video. They roar pretty good!

10. mountainexplorer

All I can say is: I love this exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It would only sound a bit better if I had a more noticable cam in it, but this motor puts out plenty of power as it is now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That 3" pipe seems so huge after having dinky 2" on there before.

11. RingMaster4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    All I can say is: I love this exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It would only sound a bit better if I had a more noticable cam in it, but this motor puts out plenty of power as it is now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That 3" pipe seems so huge after having dinky 2" on there before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you would like it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

nice /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif wish was so easy to duals a car especially 80s stuff i have a 82 trans am that i dont have a clue how im gonna get duals on it, about impossible or is impossible damn

you stole that blazer if you only gave that much for it, but you already know that hehe
    you dont even see them around here, and if you ever did then it would be missing so much metal it would be worth a quarter if you were lucky.

and spending money you dont currently own is how i am in a few thousand bucks debt now and no way to get out of still yet and is growing larger every month /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif learned my l;essons yes but too late, now gotta pay more than what i spent originally x 2 or 3, money costs more money if it aint yours originally /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and it takes money to make money also but thats not related really except it is to the ppl that the money came from that you spent /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

good luck

13. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    you stole that blazer if you only gave that much for it

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I paid $400 for it when it looked like this: http://community.webshots.com/photo/26072054/29128275VZrWHHSAMh

It had a 327 that was knocking, TH350/203, 12 bolt/Dana 44 with 3.07s, and the 3" body lift with 2" blocks under rear AND front springs.

Then I put a 350 in it, then took it all apart to just the body and frame, put 3/4 ton axles under it from a complete parts truck I picked up for $500, then a 4spd/205 I already had, interior stuff from a free parts Blazer, Wal-Mart orange paint (after I did my bodywork- meaning I wiped the dirt off with an old blanket before rattlecanning it) http://community.webshots.com/photo/38184659/43971553OcWoJG and a Winch (I bought a Scout with the winch on it, kept the winch and sold the Scout for $5 more). Several motors later, I have what it is now. The most actual money I have spent on it is $350 for the rims and tires and then another $350 for exhaust. Everything else has been through trades, off parts rigs, or for free.

I sold the 203 T-case for $90, TH350 for $185, traded off the axles, and traded off the old rims towards some 38's on another rig.

I'm the king of piecing something together /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, and one of the biggest tightwads out there .