Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I started my first rebuilt engine today! (6.2 Diesel)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Apr 1, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

oh man - what a freakin amazing day. i've been trying to start the 6.2 i rebuilt all this week. it's been rather frustrating because it was pretty slow moving to work out all the bugs and it happens that i have to drive about an hour to go work on my project (read: Expensive!). But, i finished my truck (or as finished as a CK5 rig can be) and i drove it. still have some bugs to work out before i'm comfortable driving it on the streets tho. here's a few pics to wet your appetite before i get the real media stuff up some other time.

i have some questions tho. it runs kinda rough. some factors which i think will change this roughness over time is that it's got some really old fuel mixed with close to 10 gallons of good new fuel (i tried to siphon the old fuel out, but couldn't get anything into the tank), and being that it's a 6.2, i have to have it timed at the dealer sometime this week. what are the chances that as these two things are fixed it will run a bit smoother?

when i first started it, i had a really bad leak from one of my fuel injectors. i fixed that, but i noticed a really bad drip of fuel which was coming off of the starter (which happens to be under the injector that was leaking). i don't think that it's fuel which is just dripping from that injector leak tho, because the fuel didn't stop dripping until i had shut down the engine. where could it be coming from? i've been racking my mind trying to think where that leak might be, but there's not many fuel lines above the starter, and those which i could see were not leaking. I haven't checked the secondary fuel filter which sits in the back of the engine valley tho. anyone have any thoughts?

P1000425.JPG

poser shot copy.JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yaahoooo. Come on down to the Blazer-Fest July 19-23.[​IMG]

3. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    WOWWWWWW, I know the feeling when u start a freshly rebuilt engine, though u look a little gunshy behind the wheel...

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

From the smoke I would say the time is way to retarded. If the injector pump is the same one that was on the truck, just line up the mark on top of the pump to the one on the front cover; make sure to do this while the engine is off.

5. colbystephens

that timing is correct. the other timing still needs to be taken care of. i think the smoke is partly due to the terrible fuel i have in it.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Other timing? The only timing you can adjust is at the IP, and you can try advancing it just a hair. Loosen the three nuts holding the IP tight and rotate it so the IP line is one line width past the timing cover line (less than 1/16"). Rotate the IP towards the drivers fender. Fire it up again after snugging the nuts down. It should be smoking a lot less and will prolly be 'louder'. I had mine a little too advanced the first time I adjusted it and it was as loud as a Cummins at idle...but backing it off 1/16" fixed that.

Fuel leaks are a pain, and old injectors do often leak. the return lines between injectors often leak too.

I'd let it warm up so that it comes off the cold idle advance and see how the smoke is then. You may just be going through some crapola fuel like you said.

Rene

7. tRustyK5

Did you install new copper gaskets when the injectors went back in?

Rene

8. colbystephens

no, i didn't do the copper gaskets. i know i'm supposed to - perhaps i'll take care of that once i get my truck home. the smoke was just on the 3-4 start ups. i just like the look of the smoke, so i posted the pic. the "other timing" i'm referring to, i can't remember the name of it, but the hayne's manual says that there's the static timing, like you describe, rene, and theres timing which i have to take to the dealer to have them fix (special tools, etc.).

9. tRustyK5

New injector gaskets are a must, you'll be bleeding compression out without them. They're single use items and not spendy at all...

Less compression isn't going to help starting or smoke.

As for timing I know it can be dialed in using a luminosity probe, but the adjusting they are doing is still just rotating the IP. I wouldn't consider it vital to take it in, I never did.

Rene

10. colbystephens

interesting. thanks!

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

It's good you're getting help from the seasoned smokers. I've been quiet, I wouldn't even know how to start a diesel.:D

12. colbystephens

13. tRustyK5

Once you get your head wrapped around them they're much easier to deal with than a gas engine...

BTW Colby, I forgot to say congratulations on the rebuild and getting it started!! :bow: It's gotta feel pretty cool when an engine you built fires up for the first time.

Rene

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Actually its more like "%*@#&!*$# I'm awesome! Let's drive to the Arctic, right now!:haha:

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

So..what DID you do ???

What was it that finally made it start?...airbound fuel lines??..:confused: ..weak batteries??:confused: ....it took a few blasts of starting fluid to get my 6.2 to fire up,after sitting 2 years,and me bleeding the fuel lines for 2 days!..

I hated to use ether,but I was about ready to burn it if it didn't start by then,and didn't care if it hurt it!...:rolleyes: ..I guess it knew I'd reached that point!..its started up every time since,even after sitting for a month!..

I'd get some "Howes Lubricator" ,"Diesel Kleen"or other fuel system cleaner/treatment into the fuel tank ASAP...it won't hurt,and might even smooth the idle out,and definately reduce the smoking...made a big difference in the way mine runs..:crazy:

16. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I'm glad you got it running :bow: . Fix those fuel leak's ! We don't need your rig to be catching on fire on the way home . We also don't need leaking fuel when we cut your fenders (sparks). I don't need your oil burner going up in flames in my driveway even though the fire dept is just up the road :haha: . I noticed you got mtr's on your rig . I just scored some used 35x12.5x15 of CL that I was going to run on the burb for street driving but they are way puny looking next to my 42" swamps . Get that thing up here so we can go wheel up at Goat Mt .

17. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Glad you got it running! :D

18. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

my old C10 had a leak by the fuel filter up on the fire wall that dripped diesel down onto the manifold, and down by the starter, maybe check the connections aroudn it.

19. colbystephens

ha! i brought my truck home today. feels pretty d@mn nice. i didn't have current registration, and i got a little run in with the police when i was at muddytazz's house, but they let me off the hook. then i snuck through the back roads to the ferry to get across the river and parked the truck at the inlaws house so that tomorrow i can get the missing steering component and get it smogged/registered! good stuff.

the problems that kept me from starting it were the fact that i didn't bleed the fuel system right, so i didn't have any fuel, and the injection pump timing was wrong so i had to take the front of the engine apart to fix that. didn't consider that when i put the engine back together. :( oh well. i got it done! fixed the fuel leak too - it was coming from the injection pump where it connects to one of the lines. this solved the rough idle problem too - it runs soooooooo smooth now! man it's nice. kind of a bummer to have to take off the intake tho (on pre-84 6.2 trucks it's kind of a pain to take off the intake).

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Sometimes those guys stop ya cause they want to check-out your rig, I have a taillight bulb fix-it ticket right now from some old dude that "wheels in Glammis".:D