Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I started myself on fire

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by adamforsythe, Feb 1, 2007.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I was welding backing plates to the bottom of my floor pan and I was wearing clothes I shouldn't of been wearing. I ended up buring up a 30 dollar hoody and my shirt under that. Luckly I had long johns on. haha I will post pics soon. It's not the smartest thing I have done.

2. adamforsythe

This gives me a idea tell everyone the stuipest thing you have ever done while working on your trucks.
    Later
    Adam

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

yea, I have had this happen but it was not real bad, just a small fire. boy when you get that first wiff of fire or smake smell while you are still welding you shure start moving fast dont'cha. :haha:

4. adamforsythe

Yeah I moved pretty fast. What sucked about it is I felt like I was in a box because my truck is sitting at stock highth with cough, cough 28" tires cough cough. I will be cahnging that soon.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hit myself in the head with a steel t post

6. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Welding up a gas tank.

7. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

On a creeper underneath a buddy of mines mustang and I did the classic hit your head when someone yells your name. Ive got a little scar on my eyebrow from that.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Working under a truck with dual exhaust. Twisted my body to grab a wrench and burned my shoulder on the pipe. Twisted the other way to grab my smoldering shoulder and burned the opposite shoulder on the other pipe. Yep, I'm a regular einstein.

9. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was checking the water in my battery once and when I went to put the plastic caps back on I hit them with the side of my fist and battery acid splashed up in my freakin' eye. I couldn't see for a good 30 seconds. This was back in '95. I don't do stupid stuff anymore :whistle:

10. Craig Artzner

Also, see my photo album of my burnt-up truck. That was the by far the worst. I was just out of high school. I know I'm gonna regret telling you guys I did this, but don't ever use a wire twist tie to "clamp" your fuel line to your carb just so you can go out Saturday night, even if you plan to fix it the next day. :ignore:

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In my early years i wanted to see how the air flow was in a Chevy Luv i had so i put my hand between the radiator and the plastic fan then reached for the throttle, well as you might guess reaching for the throttle with my right hand made my left hand also move a little too close to the fan and low and behold 12 stitches later i was put back together. :doah:

12. Craig Artzner

:haha:
    That IS classic. We've all done it I think. It's so classic that you see people in the movies do it all the time too...maybe not the eybrow scar but still...

13. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

replaced the main pulley on the front of the block on my burban and forgot to put the nuts back on so after i fought the alternator, power steering pump, and ac compressor back into place, i start it up and the pulley shoots off, missing my open hood and lands in a trash can...doh!

worsest one was when i was messin around with a bottle of oxygen and the valve decided it was going to leak...the leaking stream met up withthe flame at the end of the valve and ingnited...i dropped the bottle, but it started rolling down the driveway into the really busy street i live on. i manged to catch it and turn the valve off before it blew me and my truck up and caught my house on fire...BRILLIANT!

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Wasn't it Drey who stood up into a big hunk of metal with his head?

15. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i smashed myself in the face with a fullsize floor jack handle once - one of those big metal pipes - while using it as a breaker bar. i think i broke my nose on that one, but never got it checked.

my favorite story tho: one of my best friends in highschool was an idiot. for this school project he had to make this movie and for one of the scenes, he stood in the back of a pick-up while going thru a carwash. he said it wasn't too bad, until he figured out that his buddy had ordered the hot wax! i watched it on his video.... :haha:

16. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, he came up underneath part of a sprayer I think and had a huge gash in his head. I'm sure he'll post up the pics later tonight. He was quite proud of it. :D

17. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I didn't do this, I had it done to me. I purchased a bigblock chevelle several years ago that was in the process of being rebuilt. The engine was fresh, never driven, only started and idled. A while after I bought the car, I got it streetable, and took it out in front of the house to lay some rubber. Did a couple passes up and down the street. When I pulled back in the driveway, I noticed water gushing out from under it. Popped the hood, and low and behold I realized the guy, when he put the flex-fan on, put it on backwards (and I hadn't noticed) so when I punched it, it flexed forward (instead of back like its suppose to) and gashed a nice 15" circle in the brand spanking new 4-core radiator.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too many to list!...but here's afew..

I've pulled more than a few stupid stunts while working on trucks..one of the worst was when I was replacing valve cover gaskets,and the wrench I had been using slid down between the exhaust manifold on the passenger side and..yup--it touched the positive battery cable at the starter solenoid..I burnt my hand bad trying to yank the battery cable off,and by the time I got it off,the entire harness behind the motor was glowing orange,burnt to a crisp!..:doah: :(

That sucked!..it was in the dead of winter too,with snow on the way,and I needed my plow truck runing!..had to go to a junkyard and rip another harness out,spent all night replacing it,and several other burnt wires under the dash...:mad:

Another moronic thing I did was start up my truck while it was on jack stands,and put it in gear and let the wheels spin--I was trying to locate the source of a vibration at highway speeds..

I determined it was probably the u-joints,and before shutting it off,I thought it'd be fun to see if I could bury the speedometer needle..so I goose it, and it goes right up over 120 mph!..trouble is,the tires were going double that speed,( I guess the spider gears do that!)..and one blew apart in shreds,and the truck came off the jack stands!.:yikes: .I just missed hitting my new garage,it left 20 feet of rubber before I could hit the brakes!..I swear the front end came off the ground when the back tires hit the pavement!..just about pissed my pants!..:doah: :( ..I found out later I snapped the speedo cable too,and after I replaced it the speedometer never worked right again--had to change it!..and the rear quarter was FUBARED too...:mad:

Then there was the time when I worked at the junkyard,and was getting a small block running to see if it was good so I could sell it..I got it started,it ran perfectly..but as I was crawling around under the hood while getting it ready to fire up,I heard a "plink--plink--plink"...it was coins,falling out of my pocket..no big deal I thought,I'd pick them up later after I moved the car..

As soon as I touched the gas pedal,I heard horrible smashing noises,and the motor started skipping badly..yup--57 cents in change went down the rear butterflies of the Q-jet as soon as I gunned it!...:doah: SH**!!!..on to the next car,to see if that motor is good...:blush:

We took the heads off that motor later,and found some smushed coins embedded in two of the pistons!--the rest were still trapped behind the valves in the heads!..my friend pried them out,put new head gaskets on ,replaced the heads,and ran that motor for several months in his own car,and despite having pock marks in the combustion chambers from the coins,it still ran pretty strong!..:p: ..I was suprised the pistons and heads didn't crack,or the valves didn't get bent!..:crazy:

I have enough of these tales to write a book,between me and my friends antics at the junkyard ,and their shops...:rolleyes:

19. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll never forget putting in my 465/205 combo by myself only to realize I had forgot to install the throwout bearing.

20. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

closed a door with 3 bolts on, had to use a prybar to open it again.