Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i still got this steering prob anyone know whats wrong?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silver84k5, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok i was trying to put my tire on a highway barrier and i guess i pressed too hard on it for not being in 4wd and i pushed something out of alignment, but i cannot steer all the way to lock on the right side, yet i can i on the left side, it was not like this before i was messing around on this barrier, the drag link looks ok the tie rod ends are ok, what else could it be? could something in the steering box be messed up? Thx for any help you can throw at me

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

drag link is out of adjustment
    i am sure u have been told this already
    but it is a fact

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If everything was fine before this then I would start lookin at the springs.
    Loose u-bolts , broken center pin...
    Do ya remember Mitch and his rig at TSF when it wouldnt Turn right and he had to mess with the drag link to get home?

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Have somebody watch your steering box where its bolted to the frame, then turn the wheels. Make sure it does not move. Keith had the same problem after a small weenie trail and he had broken an ear off his steering box and it would flex away from the frame.

Depdog

5. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I agree with MJ, check the drag link. I once got stuck on 3 wheels on a steep decline where on of my front tires got jambed in the fender well and after alot of cranking on the steering wheel my steering wheel was off quite a bit. Someone told me that the drag link can strip somewhat under alot of pressure.

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This just happened to a friends 81'. Something in the steering box broke, jumped teeth I think. He could turn to the right but not even a 1/4 turn to the left. He had to
    replace the steering box. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If the draglink somehow came out of adjustment (stripped the threads in the adjuster) your steering wheel will not be centered/normal when driving straight. If it is straight, you can rule out a draglink problem. Then you will have to check the frame at the steering box and the steering box itself. Hopefully, whatever it is, it won't be too major.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

excellent post, that is on the money